Kharkiv - Frunze Street. Pushkinska Street (Part 2)
Kharkiv Travel Blog› entry 31 of 33 › view all entries
The house, where the academician D. Bahaliy used to live, is situated in this street (9 Frunze Street). He was one of the most prominent explorers of Slobozhanshchyna history and is distinguished first and foremost by his works «The History of Slobozhanska Ukraine», with the coauthor D. Miller. His separate publications as well as the developments of several archeography essentials, etc., have not lost their significance. It is worth mentioning that the mansion was built on the royalty for the monograph «The 250 Years of Kharkiv City History
The museum was started about 10 years ago. In the text above we mentioned a lot of writers and poets who had lived here and made Kharkiv Region famous, as well as those perished during the tragic years of «The Shot Renaissance». This subject matter underlies the museum exhibits, enlarged by artistic as well as folk and ethnographic exhibits.
One of the museum’s buildings is a
Further on, two rental houses in Modernist style flank the exit to Pushkinska Street.
Pushkinska Street (Part 2)
The construction of this stretch of the street was undertaken at different periods of time, in such a way testifying to the style variety of Kharkiv architecture. Let us consider some interesting, in our opinion, buildings.
The building is constructed with a standoff from the edge of the street and is separated from it by a forged metallic fence which is one of the finest in the city. A particular vivid nature of the building is provided by the decorative turrets, crowned by the cupolas (the house produces an impression of a stylish «castle»). The ingenious Ukrainian producer and writer Olexandr Dovzhenko used to live here from 1923 till 1926.
The dwelling house at # 67/69 is linked to the name of the outstanding astronomer N. Barabashov, whose contribution to the development and formation of the new trend in astrophysics - the research of the Solar system planets - can’t be underestimated.
M. Barabashov, the author of many scientific publications, a brilliant reader and professor, for half a century headed the observatory at Kharkiv University as well as the Department for Astronomy, and during the war used to be the President of this university, the chairman of the Committee at the USSR Academy of Sciences for Planet Research. Kharkiv Planetarium (at 15 Kravtsova Lane) was opened due to the effort of this prominent scientist. One of the craters on the Moon surface bears the name of this academician, the scientist’s gory is perpetuated in names of the street and the underground station.
The impressive building of the 1930s, the Hyhant (Giant) complex of students’ halls of residence (designed by A. Molokin, H. Ikonnikov, 1928-1929) towers on the same side of the street, just behind the main building of the National Law University. This is one of the first campuses with a very extensive infrastructure: halls of residence, the Students’ Palace, hairdressing and barber’s saloons, cafes, entertainment facilities, sports gyms, etc.Next to the main building of the Law Academy, at the intersection of Pushkinska and Petrovskoho streets (the former Basseyna Street), there emerged a small square on the area of the former surge chamber of the city water pipe system at the end of the XIX century.
On the opposite, eastern side of Pushkinska Street, at # 30, at the intersection with Petrovskoho Street, the fasade of the M. Sytenko Institute for Vertebra and Joints Pathology opens onto a small square with the entrances to Pushkinska underground station. The institute, named after M. Sytenko (professor, Corresponding Member of the USSR Academy of Sciences, who used to work here from 1921 to 1941), became the first research institution of this kind. The building bears some memorial boards, with one of them devoted to the Soviet writer Mykola Ostrovskyi, who underwent a treatment here.
This building, designed and built by the architect M. Piskunov at the beginning of the XX century as merchant Kompanshchyk’s rental house, was later transformed into a hospital for the miners by the decision of Southern Russia Mine Owners’ Congress. Subsequently it was turned into M. Sytenko Traumatology Institute (the present Professor M. Sytenko Vertebra and Joints Pathology Institute).
The Academy research is conducted in the domain of early recognition and radiation injuries treatment, as well as in the sphere of radioactive isotopes application in various diseases treatment. Retraining respective kinds of doctors - roentgenologists, oncologists, radiologists, etc. is another responsibility of the Academy. Like at the Vertebra and Joints Pathology Institute, specialised medicine corpora and journals are issued here.
Its area totals 18 hectares. There were also built a covered concert hall, a pavilion, a cafe, a children’s playground. Some historically and culturally important burial places were retained. Those are the monuments to
Lately there have emerged a kind of necropolis in the park - symbolic tombs of V.
At the corner of Pushkinska and Lermontovska Street there stands one of the most peculiar houses in Modernist style in Kharkiv (designed by M. Piskunov), erected in 1913.
Behind it one can see Dr. Frekel’s mansion (designed by P. Tolkachyev) in Neoclassical style, which is still preserved. Its pediment bears the inscription Salve, which stands for a greeting. At present it houses an infant school.
Behind the house at 100 Puskinska Street (designed by V. Velichko, built in 1913), which is the former mansion of the brick producing factory owner S. Tolkachev, we can see the former Lutheran cemetery (city cemetery # 2), the territory of which is split into two by Vyesnina Street. A complex of academic and sports building of the National Law University has been erected further along the street over the past few years. At the end stretch of the street we can see the city cemetery # 13.
There are plenty of artistically and historically significant sculptural gravestones at the cemeteries. The graves of architect O. Bekyetov, pedagogue and enlightener Kh. Alchevs’ka, producer N. Sinelnikov, actors Ye. Kadmina and K. Solenik, musician I. Slatin, philologist O. Potyebnya, historians D. Bahaliy and D. Miller are here as well.