The panorama of buildings in Darwina street
From Radnarkomivska letâ€™s move over to the opposite side of Pushkinska Street. This is the beginning of Darvina (the former Sadovo-Kulykovska) Street, which is the extension of Radnarkomivska Street. It is of particular importance. The brisk construction in this street, which had emerged in the mid XIX century on the territory once owned by the merchants Kulykovskis, were launched due to the erection of the Engineering Institute nearby. Along the street there were arranged several mansions, the owners of which sublet part of the premises. The governorâ€™s residence and his chancellery were also built there. The stretch of Sadovo-Kulykovska was renamed into Hubernatorska Street (now Revolution Street), and the principal part of the street was prolonged eastwards.
The former apartment block (now the Region Bank building)
In the 1950s the slope from this street was laid down eastward up to the intersection of the two streets: Kulykovska (now Melnikov Street) and Chornohlazivska (now Marshal Bazhanov Street).
At 4 Darvin Street there is a two-storied building (the former dwelling house
built by the architect I. Tenne in 1915), at present housing the Region-Bank. This is an edifice with an elevated base and an expressive plasticity of the front, blending Modernist and Classicism styles elements. As early as the beginning of the XX century it was noted for an exceptional level of comfort. Only some elements of the initial interior have survived up to present: the stairs and the stucco moulding of the ceilings in some rooms.
Opposite to it, at 9 Darvin Street, we can see the merchant Ryzhovâ€™s former mansion (designed by the architect V.
The former mansion of the merchant Ryzhov (now the House of Architects)
Velichko, 1912), erected in Neo-Renaissance style. This is one of the few city mansions that have almost completely retained their initial exterior and interior. The front is decorated by the columns and pilasters of the Ionic order, a parapet with the sculptural frieze over the entrance and a shaped balustrade. No less sumptuous is the interior: a cloakroom and the front white hall in the form of Late Classicism, a green dining hall, bearing resemblance to Romanic castles with a fire place, a wooden carved ceiling and the walls of artificial marble. The dining hall opens on the broad terrace of the patio with the preserved graceful semi-rotunda. In the first years of the Soviet Power this building housed the Emergency Committee and then the First All-Ukrainian Society of External Cultural Relations, since 1934 this edifice has been the House of Architects
The former D. Alchevskyiâ€™s mansion (now the Ukrainian-British College)
Next to it is the House of Painters
, which used to be the mansion owned by the English Consul Charles Blacky (designed by the architect V. Gausch, in 1911).
The building, resembling an English cottage, used to house a hotel for foreigners up to 1934, and subsequently, a hostel. At present art exhibitions are held here due to the interior executed with the application of carved wood, decorative plastic, colourful fireplaces in the spirit of Northern Modernist style.
At # 13 is the former mansion of the biologist D. Alchevskyi, the professor at Kharkiv University. The building, as claimed by the author himself (O. Beketov), is executed in the Moresque spirit: the combination of Gothic and Arabian architectural styles.
Restoration of many buildings in Darwin street revived and enriched the architectural ensemble of the city center
This is manifested in the exterior by the lancet arcades, elaborated cornices, small Â«cableÂ» columns and pretentious small towers; in the interior - by the sophisticated ornamental modelling (partially preserved). At different times the building housed the Society of Working Women Mutual Assistance, the first Â«mixedÂ» gymnasium for boys and girls, and at present the Ukrainian-British College
is quartered in this building.
Further along the northern side of the street, in particular at its end, we can observe an architectural ensemble, very similar to that of a West-European town.
Of considerable interest are # 21 and # 23, built by O. Beketov in Neo-Renaissance style in 1901 and 1903 respectively. The peculiar # 29 in Modernist style, having resemblance to Gothic dwelling places of Medieval Europe, was erected for the outstanding theatre figure and producer N. Sinelnikov (designed by A. Rzhepyshevskyi, 1914). The mansion, used to be owned by the architect V. Velychko (31 Darvina Street), was built in 1901 after the architectâ€™s own design project with Gothic and Romanesque architecture elements, is rather interesting. A number of the architecture memorials encloses the academician of architecture O. Bekyetovâ€™s manor (at 37 Darvina Street), built by himself in 1912 in Neoclassicism style. Besides the architect himself there lived in that manor such artists as M. Pestrikov and N. Samokish.