Peles Castle

Sinaia Travel Blog

We got up early, packed the suitcases and had a great breakfast in the hotel lobby. We headed into Brasov to return the rental car. First we stopped by the Black Church to see if it was open, it was and we took a nice tour. Of course, no cameras allowed! Dropped the car off and went to the train station.

We had a bit of trouble getting the tickets. Emilia got into an argument with the ticket lady over the price. It was much more expensive then we thought it was going to be. But it turned out that the lady was giving prices in the old Romanian Lei, not the new currency. It will be much nicer when they switch completely over to the Euro. We ended up getting tickets on the slow "Chicken Train" instead of the express. I call it the chicken train, because I was expecting to see peasants with chickens on it.
This mix up made us later to Sinaia then we would have liked.

Once we arrived, we went immediately to Peles Castle. Emilia really wanted me to see this, she hadn't been here since she was on a school trip. I have to say, the castle is wonderful, one of the best in Europe. Again, not allowed to take photos inside, but we did buy some postcards.

The building of the castle began in 1873 under the direct order of the Viennese architect Wilhem Doderer and was continued in 1876 by his assistant, Johann Schultz de Lemberg. During 1877-1879 because of the war they abandoned work. That's why the castle was inaugurated only on October 7, 1883. The location for the castle was chosen by the German prince Carol I de Hohenzollern, who was to become a king and it draws its name from the neighboring brooks which passes through the courtyard.

After the tour, we made our way back down to the station, passing by a long row of souvenier stands. It was interesting to see the homemade crafts they were selling.

Barely made it on time to the station, we had about 3 minutes before the train arrived. This time we purchased express tickets. Got back to Bucharest in the evening and her parents picked us up at the station.
photo by: dardeb