Vilnius Travel Blog

When we got to Vilnius, we had dinner with a family member of his.  The house was spartan and the food simple, but it was the most comfortable I'd been in a long time.  Afterwards, I was invited to visit a friend of his who worked at a small "police station" that just up until the previous month had been used as an interrogation center by the KGB.  It was deserted now.  We appeared to be the only three people there at that time of night and armed with flashlights they gave me a tour of it.  I remember seeing a control panel near the entryway and walking down the main corridor, a long smear of blood running across the length of the wall.  At the end of the hall were several doors.  One opened to a bare cement cell about the size of a broom closet - not even big enough to sit in without bending the knees.  It was sloped to one side where there was a drain.  On the opposite side of the drain was a faucet.  I was told that they would put uncooperative (read: confession resisting) prisoners here naked and drip cold water on them 24 hours a day.  The next door down was a padded torture room.  The walls were covered in canvas and beneath the canvas, rubber.  There were large gashes and smears of dried blood on the canvas.  My new professor friend suggested I stand just outside the door while he stood inside, closed the heavy door and screamed at the top of his lungs.  I barely heard a sound.  The whole evening gave me chills, but very interesting indeed.  The next day, he had to return to Tallinn and we went our separate ways, with me backtracking to Riga.  I contacted him one other time when I was in Moscow a month later, but never saw him again.
sylviandavid says:
Yikes.... that's creepy isn't it?
Posted on: Mar 15, 2008