Siberia

Sayansk Travel Blog

Dachas scattered around the taiga

I'm sharing a railcar with a dozen or so Europeans and Anzacs.  Only a few Americans and one Colombian who plays his guitar all day.  There's a swiss guy my age in the bunk above me who makes detailed notations in a notepad for each and every photo he takes.  A highlight was seeing Lake Baikal one afternoon.  But for the most part, the trip was a very long six days.  Birch trees and dachas rolling past the windows day and night for a week.  To break up the monotony, we play card games and Balderdash (I turn out to be the undeafeated champion) and tell travel stories to each other.  There's food to eat at the various train stations we pull into, but I'm still feverish with dysentery and have no appetite so I eat only the cookies I brought from Mongoloia and a few tomatoes and vegetables I pick up from sellers at the train stations.  None of us dare eat what's being served in the food car.  At each stop, hordes of Chinese travelers, who appear be on the train specifically for this purpose, hawk coats and Chinese goods from the train windows.  On day 4 we cross the continental divide between Asia and Europe in the Urals.  There's a small plaque to mark the spot.

Sayansk