AsiaChinaQingdao

Qingdao

Qingdao Travel Blog

On the beach during low tide.

I want to take the ferry from Shanghai to Qingdao but am told that it has been cancelled due to a strong taiphoon in the Yellow Sea.  Take the train instead.   I'm getting more bold with what I'll let myself eat as I'm probably becoming more immune to it.  Even eating frozen "bing bong" (homemade icemilk on a stick) from vendors on the street.  Also snacking on corn on the cob along with the rest of my fellow passengers despite being once told the Chinese consder it pig food.

A quick sidetrip to Laoshan, source of spring water that is said to be the source also for Qingdao Beer.  A snake is found swimming around one pool and local runs over to bash it to bits with a stick.

German built rain station
  He pulls out the body, puts it in a sack and tells his approving family that they are eating snake for dinner.  They clap their hands with approval.

More staring sqads in town.  I want to reach out a hat and collect tips for this.  At one point, I turned to the crowd and asked what everyone is looking at.  Of course it just made it worse.   I've been in mianland China a few weeks and I'm already getting irritated with the locals.  In addition to the ubiquitous smoking is the ubiquitous spitting.  Men, women and children alike participate in what appears to be the national sport.   Splashes on my shoes on occasion.  So I'm told, they spit because they are sick and are sick because they spit.  I'm already keen to get moving onward.

Laoshan waterfall