Hong Kong - the return

Hong Kong Travel Blog

The Walled City, which was completely razed shortly after this photo was taken.

Completely broke, sick with pneumonia, and still suffering unusual shock-like symptoms, numbness and panic attacks, I made my way to Hong Kong to take stock of my situation and recuperate.  In the hospital in HK, I got plenty of conflicting advice - either nothing to worry about or something to do with possible heart valve and/or brain chemistry damage.  In addition I had pinched nerves and muscle spasms all up and down my spine from carrying my heavy bag for over a year.  I realized that I had to return to the States for treatment.  I still suffer the effects to this day.  It was the ignoble end of a expansive year-long journey.  But it was the trip of a lifetime, and the people I met along the way made it all worth it.

Ape says:
What a story, what a story!
I enjoyed reading your blog, even though it's so 'old'. More people should write up their previous travels and experiences :)
Posted on: Mar 28, 2008
Biedjee says:
Finally had the chance to finish the entire blog. What a fantastic journey that was, especially the time when you did it, I imagine, just after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Did I tell you I was jealous yet? (well, apart from the pneumonia and near dying and all :))
Posted on: Mar 20, 2008
The Walled City, which was complet…
The Walled City, which was comple…