A million train transfers

Bad Ischl Travel Blog

Pretty river

Since I planned most of the trip, I asked Michele to plan the Austria portion - including Vienna and anything else she would like to see on our way back to Munich.  She asked around and heard that the Lakes District was a really pretty area so she looked into that.  Unfortunately, it wasn't easy to get there.  After getting our luggage out from the lockers in Melk, we got on one train and backtracked a little before transfering to another train.  And then another and another.  It looked stormy up ahead and we weren't sure if we wanted to go into the Lakes District, fearing a train or bus delay like what happened on our first pass through the Alps.

It started clearing up, so we hopped trains again - I swear there were about 5 or 6 different trains we had to get on.

Mountain and lake
  I was getting really tired and crabby since I was lugging the heavy gift-laden bag.  Michele couldn't seem to understand why I didn't want to transfer a bunch of times, but she wasn't the one carrying the heavy bag (that also had her shoes in it).  We finally got on our last train to Bad Ischl.  This was the slower regional train that took us through the mountains.  I didn't know what the Lakes District was - I thought it was just lakes, big deal.  But these lakes were nestled at the base of large mountains.  It was actually quite scenic.

I guess I picked the wrong side of the train, because most of the lakes and mountains were out Michele's window.  But that's okay - it was her day anyway.

big mountain
  She thought she was being sneaky taking my photo, but just as she took it I made a funny face.  Actually I think I was just letting off a little steam.

We could only go as far as Bad Ischl if we wanted to make it to Munich in time to have dinner with my family.  It would have been nice to go as far as Halstatt, but it wasn't to be.  Michele thought our train tickets covered the bus to Salzburg, but she checked just to make sure, and it was a good thing she did!  We had to buy bus tickets yet!  We might have missed the bus and then we'd be stuck there.  But we got on the bus and settled in for the hour ride or so.  I didn't really enjoy it because we were in the back over the wheel and I get motion sickness.

entertainment on the train
  After being on so many smaller, jerkier trains, we were now on a bouncy bus.  The scenery was going by so fast I was getting sick.  Eventually I just closed my eyes and let Michele take the photos.  Needless to say I was very crabby by this time, but trying to keep my mouth shut so Michele could enjoy it.

One highlight for me was when the man from the Red Cross got on the bus.  He sat in the seat that had a "+" on the window, meaning it was reserved for the elderly or handicapped.  His jacket had a "+" on the back.  Aha!  I thought, so that's who can sit in those seats!  At least something could bring a smile to my face that afternoon!

mountain and lake
mountain and lake
white church
white church
little town in the Lakes District
little town in the Lakes District
So thats who can sit in those + s…
So that's who can sit in those + …
Bad Ischl