Frohe Ostern!

Bordesholm Travel Blog

Easter breakfast

Happy Easter!  A light dusting of snow greeted us for our Easter breakfast.  I love the rolls, meats, cheeses, and quark.  They even had a delicious raspberry honey.  Yum!  I could eat breakfast three times a day!  Wolfgang and Ute have been so kind to us.  They gave us each a little Easter votive candle holder filled with chocolates.

Many Germans don't go to church regularly, but Michele and I wanted to go to an Easter service, so we all went to the Bordesholm Kirche.  It is a beautiful old church that used to be a monastery.  We sat in pews that had little doors and we were right next to the vault/tomb (what's the word for a big stone coffin that isn't buried, just left in plain sight?).

Inside the Monastery Church
  The service was entirely auf Deutsch and the little kinder sang a couple songs.  We were even lucky enough to see a baptism.  All of a sudden everyone stood up and started moving towards the front of the church (the service took place in the middle).  I didn't really know what was going on and left my camera in the pew.  We gathered up near the baptismal font by a beautiful old alter.  We all circled around and watched.  It was so neat to see.  At the end of the service we all circled the pews and sang a round.  I forgot the song but I recognized it as one I've sung back home.  And then they switched to sing it in English!  I think everyone was surprised to see me singing along but hey, I knew the words!  We sang the song in a round in English, German and Italian.  What fun!

After church the kids had an easter egg hunt in the church yard.  The temperature was around freezing, maybe a little below and still people hung around talking and looking for eggs.   (I looked but didn't find any - those kids are good!)  We took a little walk along Lake Bordesholm before heading home.  We were on our way to a Viking museum for the afternoon!  Yippee!

Easter Egg hunt after church
Easter Egg hunt after church
Bordeshom Church, Monastery Church
Bordeshom Church, Monastery Church
Lake Bordesholm and walking trail
Lake Bordesholm and walking trail
Bordesholmer lime tree, ~600 yrs o…
Bordesholmer lime tree, ~600 yrs …
Lake Bordesholm and village