Day 3. San Diego - Cayo Levisa 50 km. Losing my fighting spirit in the Killing Hill.

Cayo Levisa Travel Blog

San Diego - Cayo Levisa 50 km

The day starts with a great breakfast at our hotel Islazur San Diego de los Banos before the transfer by bus for an hour Northwest of San Diego

We are cycling against the Mexican Gulf.  The terrain to day is very nice, we cycles through a beautiful palm dressed valley, passing small villages with real Cuban mood.

My sister Siri asked me when I told her I was going for a cycle tour to Cuba if I know what I had given me in to.

Cycling through banana plantage

I laughed at her and answered that this will not be as tough as she think, Cuba is a flat country.  To bee honest I didn`t know much of the Cuban landscape.  I realized that Cuba is a bit like Norway with high mountains and beautiful vallyes.

I must tell you I`m in good shape and very stubborn, and I`ll never ever will I climb of my bike and walk up a hill.  Yesterday I passed my college Judith, she is in very good shape, and she had climbed of her bike almost reaching the top of a hill.  “I`ll never climb of my bike” I exhausted shouted to her, oh my legs were aching, but I shall up this hill.  I reached the top and felt like an Olympic winner when I looked down the hill seeing several of the cycles climbing off their bikes.

Our lunch to day is as yesterday, a very nice picnic basket.  During the lunch our Norwegian guide told us he had a challenge for us to day, he called it the Killing Hill.  Ok I`ll take the challenge I thought.

Oh my, oh my, the Killing Hill was really a killing hill.  In the bottom of the hill looking up I lost all my fighting spirit, and to bee honest I didn`t try to hard to climb it, I went of the bike pretty soon.  Reaching he top, on foot I realised only one of us had biked up the hill.

Mexican Gulf

Rest of the distance we biked through a beautiful banana plantage, reaching the Mexican Gulf.

We had a 20 minutes boat trip to Cayo Levisa.

Cayo Levisa, on the Northern coast of Pilar del Rio, a real natural paradise, offering an unspoiled environment, quiet and beautiful blue water, and ideal sites for diving, snorkelling and other water sports.  Cayo Levisa`s beach is surrounded by virgin land.

The hotel complexes feature 40 very nice double bungalows each with private bathroom, radio and TV set.  And we had a kind of private beach in front of our cabin.

We had time for a swim and a few hour of sunbathing before dinner.

Sunset over the Mexican Gulf

Before dinner I wanted to have a shower, Judith had already had one.

Climbing in the shower I realised I had to have a dry shower meaning; We were out of water.  Oh shit, my hair was stiff after the swim and sunbath; I can’t sit by a dinner table with my co bikers like this.

We had two bottles of drinking water in the bungalow and that was just enough water to have my “shower” and wash my hair.

Before dinner we had time to sip a Cuba Libre, enjoying the sunset at the beach.

martinezsmi says:
a dry shower? looks like paradise but no water??????
Posted on: Aug 19, 2008