Day 2. Sorona - San Diego de los Banos 56 km

San Diego de los Banos Travel Blog

This will be my best friend on our tour

The first day on bike with  56 km in front of us.

We had a nice breakfast at our hotel before leaving Havana at 09.00.  We had a short transfer by bus to Soroa.

Soroa is located west of Havana in the Pinar del Rio, western region of the Sierra del Rosario.

Natural reserve park covers area of 25 000 hectares.  Skirting the banks of several rivers, the most important rivers of Soroa region are: Rio Bayate and Rio Manatiales.

This rivers are endowed with a crystal clear water, at the sunrays beautiful rainbow disperse over them, always when rains.

Our bus

The region is home of Semi deciduous forest as well as Shrubs and Herdaceous palms.  In the outskirts of Soroa mere than 100 species of ornamental trees have been identified.

Another 60 spices of vines, lots of edible plants, palm trees and bamboo.  Lichens and moss are abundant as well.  The fauna of the region is plentiful and rich in its diversity, within bird family more than 50 species.  We were happy to observe the Tocororo, Cuban National Bird (priotelus temnurus).

Birdwatchers will find Soroa most rewording area.  In terms of the regions historical and cultural landmarks, ruins of several mansions, that use to be French coffee plantations.  Some of them have been restored.

French colonialist establish themselves in this region in the first decade of the nigh teen century.

Arriving Soroa a beautiful palm valley, we were presented to our bicycles which were going to be our best friend for the next 14 days, for good and for bad.

My lunch

We were also presented to Carlos and Luisito the crew in our small following bus.  They helped us to pick the best bike for individual needs and adjusted them to fit us.  Carlos was by the way a biker of class.  And Luisito was a brilliant bike mechanic.

As you will see on my photos we Norwegian is very much for safety, we all wear helmets.  By the way, Castro means helmet :)

Before moving our bottoms up on the bikes for the 56 km tour to San Diego de los Banos we visited the Soroa Orchidarium.  You can read about the visit in my review about it.

About 12.00 we were ready to go for the 56 km bike ride.

On our bike we passed small villages on the beautiful countryside of Cuba.

Just had to stop and take this photo

The form of the landscape is characterised by steep sided limestone hills and flat, fertile valleys.

We had stops for short rest and drinks during the ride, and when we had been cycling for about 35 km Carlos and Luisito had arranged for a picnic.

The first day of cycling went rather well, my bottom didn`t ace, but I cold feel that my legs had been working more than usual.

Arriving at Hotel San Diego I were pleased to see the swimming pool, and even more pleased when I were offered massage by a therapist working at the hotel.

After a shower, massage and a short swim I was ready for dinner.

Going to bed that evening I was humming “Hasta Siempre” feeling rather content with my self.

boxinbcn says:
What a fantastic trip! I would love to do this some day!
Posted on: Jun 03, 2008
sylviandavid says:
sounds like a great first day! Sylvia
Posted on: Apr 14, 2008
This will be my best friend on our…
This will be my best friend on ou…
My lunch
Just had to stop and take this pho…
Just had to stop and take this ph…
Being presented to our bikes