My Experience as a disabled traveler in PDC

Playa del Carmen Travel Blog

I have a bit of a limp and limited knee range so I was some what concered about traveling out of the country alone.  Most countries including Mexico do not have accessibility laws. I did skip taking some tours in which I figured I would need assistance. Getting around I asked on some forums before I left about public transportation and found out buses are not accessible. I took taxis if I need to get somewhere except the tours those were not to hard for me to get on to.  Taxis going to other areas of playa were not that exspensive esp. compared to here in the US. One difference is that you must settle on price BEFORE you get in the taxi. Shopping, Tours, People A lot of restaurants and shops are on raised platforms but there are lowered areas every so many feet. I usually would just walk til' I got to one of thoughs. My expereience in Mexico was great. Most of the locals were willing to lend a hand if I needed one to get on to an elevated side walk or up steps. The tour bus steps were a bit high and the driver was quick to help and the tour guide said I could get a private guide @ chichen Itza seperate from the group to go at my own pace as long as I was back at the bus on time. I took advantage of this and another couple joined me. I also saw a Mexican woman taking the tour in a wheelchair. Just be aware of the heat also and be sure to stay hydrated. Wheelchairs If your traveling in a wheelchair I would suggest traveling with a group and the bigger hotels would probably be a better option. I think most of the bigger hotels like Gran Porto Real, Rui and wyndham have some accessible rooms.  If you travel with a group or family tours and such will probably much less stressful. Overall my experience in Mexico was very positive and I can't wait to return.