Day trip to Monkey Mia

Monkey Mia Travel Blog

Cessna C207A Stationair 8
One of the many activites you can do in Kalbarri (my favourite town) is take a scenic flight with Kalbarri Air Charter which has 5 available flights. The flight we chose was a day trip all the way to Monkey Mia which is 400km north of Kalbarri and is famous for feeding wild dolphins.

The airport in Kalbarri is just a small building next to a runway with a hanger at the end of it. The pilot John went and got the plane out of the hanger and parked it near the terminal building and waited for us (my family) to get on board. I have always been an aviation enthusiast and have loved all my flights on commercial aircraft, but this is my first ever flight on a small plane and I was really excited about it.
Zuytdorp cliffs
After take off we flew over some typical Australian bushland (all looks the same) and headed for Murchison River and out to sea.

After reaching the coast we flew north towards Shark Bay and went past the amazing Zuytdorp cliffs which stretch for over 150km on the Western Australia coast. The cliffs rise up to a height of nearly 300m and we flew at their level and very close to them for the entire trip. The views are fantastic and my photos don't do them justice. When we got close to Shark bay we flew over the stromatolites, they look amazing from the air especially when you see the flat Australian bush in the background.

When we got to Steep point (the western most point in Australia) the Cessna turned right and headed towards Denham.
Stromatolites
We touched down at Denham and I was fascinated by the airport tax collection system. Whenever you land a plane at any airfield you are required to pay a landing fee, but because the airport was just a tin shed the system is slightly different than most airports. I laughed because all there was at the airport was this box that read "please enclose your aircraft identification and $22". John the pilot then became a taxi driver as he drove us to Monkey Mia about 30km away from the airport.

We got to Monkey Mia and headed straight for the beach as the daily feeding of the wild dolphins was about to start, the beach was literally packed full of people. Hundreds and hundreds of people all trying to get a glimpse of dolphins, i'm really not a big fan of crowds so i didn't like that there were so many people.
too many people!
3 dolphins eventually turned up, a mother and calf and another one, at first i was very far away and didn't get a close look so I maneuvered myself to the front of the queue of people to get a closer look. 2 people from calm went into the water and with a bucket in hand began to feed a couple of fish to each dolphin, then they got 3 random people from the crowd that also got to feed a fish.

The people from calm were talking about the dolphins and when the dolphins were first discovered to come to the beach daily, and then the dolphins came and had a close look at all the people before swimming back out to sea. I was very disappointed by the whole thing because it was so commercialized and fake. After the show I spent the remainder of the morning swimming and just hanging out at the beach, it is a nice area but I don't understand why so many foreigners drive past Kalbarri and go all the way to Shark bay just for a glipse at some dolphins between the crowds.
feeding time

On the flight back to Kalbarri I got to see more of the amazing coastline and I saw hundreds of sharks and stingrays in the water which was really cool. We flew a bit more out to sea this time and a lot higher to get a different perspective of the views, I enjoyed this as well until John told us we would be landing soon and started to descend the plane. I had a terrible cold at the time and had no problems on the flight to Shark bay as we flew low, but because we were so high i was in a terrible amount of pain. It felt like a vein in my neck was being ripped out by someone using their hands and my ears felt like they were going to explode, it is a sensation i have never had before or since and I hope never experience again. The pain lasted for about 10 minutes after landing but luckily it did go away and even though it was painful enjoyed the return flight too.
cool dolphin

This is the day i fell in love with flying and seeing the world from tiny planes :)

If anyone is reading this and seeing my photos and is thinking about coming to Western Australia to see wild Dolphins, then i have a tip for you because Monkey Mia isn't worth the effort getting there (by car or bus i mean, plane is awesome). A couple of years ago I went to Rockingham (about an hour south of Perth) and went on a trip with a company called Rockingham Dolphins. They took us out into the ocean and I got to swim for 5 hours with 20-30 wild dolphins and had an amazing time. I would write about that experience separately except i only had  a disposable underwater camera and none of the photos turned out. The good thing about that day was that I got to see and touch dolphins and the experience is what led me to buy my underwater camera as I don't ever want to miss capturing moments again :)

Biedjee says:
Very fake indeed. When I was there there was a much greater sense of reality: only about five people there and not a single dolphin in sight! *grmbl-bugger-umpf*
Somehow your experience in Monkey Mia seems more memorable, fake as it may have been :-)
Posted on: Mar 21, 2008
Shark bay airport
Shark bay airport
at shark bay
at shark bay
im looking at the honor landing f…
i'm looking at the honor landing …
checking me out