Flight over Rottnest Island

Rottnest Island Travel Blog

Cessna 172
I went to Rottnest island on my day off and although i have been there many times i had never seen it from the air, every time i have been on a flying lesson i have always gone in land and never out to sea and over to Rottnest. I rode my bike to the airport on the island and inquired how much it would cost to get a trip on board the Rottnest air taxi. Rottnest air taxi provides flights from Jandakot airfield to Rottnest island and also scenic flights of varying length around the island.

I wanted to see a much as I could so I went on a 30 minute flight that took me up to 2000 feet for an overview of the whole island and got to do a loop around the island twice at this height so i could see everything. I also got the pilot to fly nice and low so I could get a close up view of the beaches and coastline. It is always very windy at Rottnest which makes the flight more fun as the little Cessna gets pushed around the sky (probably not good for the squeamish) . The wind was especially noticeable on the landing when the plane was thrown way to the right just before landing (good fun).

the 30 minute flight only cost me $50 and i think that is money well spent, from the air you can really appreciate how big and beautiful the island is. I highly recommend a flight around the island, i think the costs starts off at $20 and thats a bargain!
SheLuvz2Fly says:
Gosh this sounds so fantastic!! How can you beat that price??
Posted on: Mar 24, 2008