Jump

Vang Vieng Travel Blog

Near Vang Vieng

Vang Vieng looked scenic as we passed though on our way to Luang Prabang and it is a convenient place to break the journey on the way back to Vientiane so we decide to stay and check out the fun on the river.  This town is well known as a travellers mecca and though the idea of hordes of drunken Poms and Aussies isn't everyone's idea of a great place it's actually not too bad.  It is probably rowdy by Lao standards but all seems good humoured fun; the oddest thing to me are the number of cafes showing non-stop Friends and just how popular thay seem to be, at least one though was bucking the Friends trend and was showing non-stop Family Guy!

We take a day tour on the river with Caving, Tubing and Kayaking combined and lunch all for $12.

Vang Vieng
  We start at the Nam cave about 15km up the river from Vang Vieng where we take tubes into the cave.  The river here has carved out an amasing tunnel into the hillside and it is possible to paddle about 600 metres into the cave before the tunnel eventually becomes too narrow.   It is great fun expecially in a large group.  Afterwards we go the Elephant cave which is used as a buddist temple.  It is named for the stalagtite shaped like an Elephants head.  Here the guide tells us the story of the Eagle and the Fish; a story the Laos tell to children to warn them of the dangers of trusting people and he adds for our benefit we should be careful of tuk-tuk drivers.

There are 2 other caves nearby one of which is particularly deep.

In the Hoi cave
  For this cave it is necessary to take a local guide as about 4 years ago a tourist died here after becoming lost.  Supposedly they eventually found his body 13 km into the cave.

After lunch we take kayaks about 8km downstream back to town.  The first part has a few small rapids but the river soon becomes gentle as we arrive at the point where the Tubers start their journey down river.  We stop twice for drinks on the way.  At the first place there is a rope jump into the river for anyone who wishes to try it.  It looks easy from the ground so never one to pass on an opportunity to make a fools of myself I give it a go; I really need to work on my landings!

skippyed says:
Ahh yes I remember this place well. I thought it was a lovely spot. Myself and a couple of travel companions went for a trek to seek out these caves and ended up getting lost! perhaps we should of taken a guide!!
Posted on: Apr 03, 2008