Food Glorious Food

Luang Prabang Travel Blog

Ruth showing us the market

It has often been claimed that I am a bad cook.  This is despite the fact that I once worked as a cook on a tall ship.  So when the chance came for me to prove my cooking expertise then it was an opportunity too good to miss.  Actually, it was Julie's idea as one of her friends had done a cookery course in Luang Prabang a few years ago and had thoroughly enjoyed herself, so we signed up with the Three Elephants Cafe for a day learning to cook Lao.

The schools is run by an Aussie lady, Ruth, who has family in Lao and has been living in and out of the country since the 1970's.  She kicks off the day with a tour of the main market in Luang Prabang where she shows us the key ingredients of Lao cuisine in their raw state.

Our first dish
  After that it is back to the school for the cooking proper.  The chefs first show us how to make a dish and then it is over to us working in pairs to cook the same dish ourselves.  We prepare 2 in the morning and eat these for lunch and a further 3 in the afternoon and have these for an early dinner.   After the school closes we kick-on with Steven and Joe, two of the other cookery pupils for a few more beers at one of the local bars.

Although it's a little like a cross between "Blue Peter" and "The Generation Game" (for anyone who remembers UK TV from the 1970's) the day is great fun and may find some practical application when we get home.  If you ever go to Luang Prabang and fancy something a little bit different then give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

skippyed says:
I did a 3 day cooking school in Chang Mai Thailand. We expect you to demonstrate your skills in a dinner invitation when you get back!!!!
Posted on: Mar 31, 2008
Careful with that wok!
Careful with that wok!
What the dishes are meant to look …
What the dishes are meant to look…
The new chef hard at work!
The new chef hard at work!
Luang Prabang