Attempt #2

Kaneohe Travel Blog

Although the first attempt to hike the stairs failed, quite miserably I might add, attempt #2 was a resounding success. With flashlights in hand, we started out early in order to beat the rush (aka. anyone not wanting us to hike the mountain).

While we were hiking, I soon realized we were not alone.  Someone beat us to the start.  Quickly we caught up to the other party and ultimately passed them.  It happened to be a guy who lived here and three girls visiting from Arizona.  I couldn't give them a hard time since I am from there though.  Anyways, passing them would ultimately set us up to be the first to reach the top for the day.

Following a short rest break we started off again crossing the first knife-edge ridge.
  Fortunately there was a walkway because it was windy and either side easily dropped off a few hundred feet.  This would provide a great photo op so I thought.  After taking a few pictures my camera decided it was out of a battery.  Ah crap... I won't be able to get any pictures of our hike.

So in the end we made it to the top.  Unfortunately two things occurred though:

1)  My camera died and I wasn't able to document the hike
2)  The summit was covered in clouds and the visibility sucked.  Quite a difference from the previous week.

With that said, I guess there will have to be another attempt trying to get the perfect picture from the Haiku Stairs.  Until next time........ Stay tuned.
The first knife-edge ridge
The first knife-edge ridge
Whats up Ray
What's up Ray"
If you only knew what was on each …
If you only knew what was on each…
photo by: jenn79