Saturday

Amsterdam Travel Blog

International Pancake corner. Wow!

On Saturday, we needed pancakes, and we went to the Pancake corner on Leidseplein.  Oh, my goodness.  Well, I'll do you a review, but if we just say that I don't think any of us even thought about lunch?  Highly recommended.  The service was even OK.

N, T and C all wanted to go to the Anne Frank House.  I really didn't - I never really recovered from the school trip to Auswitch, and an hour in a line didn't appeal either.  So I wandered off with a promise that they'd call me when they were done.  I love wandering, and there were a few places I'd missed last time.

First, I went to the Niewkirk to see the Hidden Afghanistan exhibition.  I was a bit cross with myself because I forgot my museumkaart and had to pay in, but the exhibition was fascinating.

Heron on a canal
  It turned out that Afghanistan was one of the real ancient crossroads, and had an amazing culture and mix of archeology which a very brave museum director had managed to hide from the Taliban.  Funnily enough, a lot of the jewelry from ancient times looked a lot like stuff I'd wear now - loads of little flowers on bracelets - except mine wouldn't be real gold!  After that, I went up into the Jordaan.  I looked in loads of art gallery windows, and eventually decided that a hot chocolate was in order.

I settled down in a cafe opposite the Anne Frank house, which I thought would be easy for meeting the others.  Two hot chocolates, a beer, and a plate of Bitterballen later, I wondered where they were.  It turned out that when N had texted to say they were finished she had forgotten to press +44 in front of my number and I got all five texts she sent the next day in the Heathrow passport line.

De Prins
  I hadn't called in case I interrupted some really emotional bit in the museum, and she hadn't called coz she'd texted a lot!  So she was a wee bit put out, and in the red light zone, by the time we actually got back together.

The gang had settled in in the Greenhouse, drinking fresh mint tea and hanging out.  Yes, the greenhouse is that sort of a cafe.  No, I didn't - I can get silly enough on fresh air, so I avoid cake - people who are allergic to Sudafed cough mix shouldn't eat that stuff!  I just stuck to the tea, which is lovely.  Of course, just being around that stuff is enough to make me pretty laid back, so it was a much quieter evening than I'd planned to have.  Me and the others had some noodles in the Walk to WOk and then ended up in St Christopher's hostel bar.  I'd really recommend it.  You can't pretend that it's authentic Dutch, but it's really laid back, full of fun people, and the drinks are cheap.  I had a great night, and I think the others did too.

sarahelaine says:
Yep, just round the corner. I never got a chance to go there, but I did see Arcade Fire in the Music Hall out at Bijlmer. I'm getting all nostalgic!
Posted on: Mar 16, 2008
redzzed says:
Leidseplein !! takes me back , i used to live in east amsterdam and we were always around the Leidseplein , is the milky wey still there ?? :-)
just around the corner .
Posted on: Mar 16, 2008
De Prins
Graffiti - Ive been in Amsterdam…
Graffiti - "I've been in Amsterda…
St Christophers Hostel Bar. Belie…
St Christopher's Hostel Bar. Beli…
Pancake!
Pancake!
OK, I was a tourist this time!
OK, I was a tourist this time!
Art
Art
Bar at St Christophers
Bar at St Christopher's
Amsterdam Nightlife & Entertainment review
Belushi's
Belushi's (I'm reasonably sure that's what it's called) is the bar that is downstairs from St Christopher's Hostel. It is a nice, cool, bar, with a gr… read entire review
Amsterdam Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
De Prins
De Prins is one of the few places I found in Amsterdam that felt like it could only be dutch. I perched up on a bar stool and tried to order hot choc… read entire review