Accelerate...

Amsterdam Travel Blog

GQ pose
Day 2 of my little birthday celebration.
Check out was by 12noon and our flight wasn't leaving until after 2 pm, so alittle more window shopping was in order. We were very proud of ourselves, we only had 1 item each. But this is Paris so that was all we could afford...lol. Then it was back to the hotel to pick up our bags and get a taxi to the airport. The flight wasn't completely full so we were able to get seats together (we were flying space available).
Back at Schiphol airport...back in the car...back on the busy highway at 4pm driving into Amsterdam...what fun....NOT !!
Anyhow, we finally arrived at a friend's house to freshen up and change before heading out to my first open-air concert in Holland.
Place de la Concorde
I've been to several when I was still living in NC but never here. Probably because the weather is so unpredictable in the summer and it usually rains around the week of my birthday. Back in NC it was always hot and humid with people running for the airconditioned shopping malls. And sure enough, the clouds were moving in and we did get a quick shower.

Due to the fact that I'm an average size person in a land of giants, if I want to see anything of the stage, I have to get to a concert early. Which also means alot of standing around time. Luckily our friend didn't mind and it gave us a chance to check out the area.
Built in 1883 by the British Imperial Continental Gas Association, the Westergasfabriek was the largest gas works (mainly for public lighting) in the city. In the 1960's, gas production stopped due to the discovery of natural gas in the northern part of the country, the gas works closed and some of the buildings were demolished.
Modern Skirts
The remaining buildings were used for storage by the energy company then in 1989, were recognised as industrial monuments which prevented further demolition. The area was then rented out for activites such as fashion shows, festivals, circus acts and in 2003 officially opened as a cultural park resulting in the renovations of the buildings. There is always something going on here and in the summer, it's live concerts. Tonight, we were sharing the evening with R.E.M. Despite the ominous dark clouds overhead it stayed dry with an occasional drop of rain. But that was all...drops here and there.
The opening act was a U.S. band from Athens, Georgia called Modern Skirts. Pretty good group...will definitely have to get their album in October when I'm in the states. Then after what seemed like hours, R.E.M. came on stage and the sound from the crowd was deafening ! The first part of the concert was mainly songs from their newest album Accelerate and the second part filled with old favorites. What a great concert and a great ending to my latest birthday !

R.E.M.