Okaukuejo Travel Blog

The pan, partly covered with grass!

I thought I would not go to Etosha on this trip because it would be a disappointment at this time of the year. With all the rain the animals do not need to go to the waterholes located next to the camps or the gravel roads.

While chatting with our guide at the Twyfelfontein rock paintings, he had mentioned that summer is actually a good time to see the lions in this reserve. So I thought why not give it a try and spend one night at Okaukuejo.

Etosha Park extends over an area of 22000 square kilometers. Most of the gravel roads that you can drive along in your car are located just south of a massive salt pan.

The Okaukuejo waterhole
There are 3 camps at Etosha: Namutoni, Halali and Okaukuejo located respectively to the East, Center and West. All 3 have been renovated recently, and the prices to stay there have gone up... They have done a great job and the new bungalows are very nice. The gates to the camps open and close at sunrise / sunset.

It was a short visit and as I suspected I did not see one single elephant, rhino, zebra or hyena... But just as I arrived in the game reserve I was greeted by a ballet of 4 giraffes. It was an awesome show! I wished I had a video cam to capture it.

About one hour later , I had the chance to see 2 lions and 3 lionesses. They came out of the bush and just hang there by the road, ignoring me and the other vehicle that had stopped by. At one stage one of the lions passed right next to my car. Then the lionesses and one of the lions started walking along the gravel road. We were able to drive slowly pretty close to them until they stopped to drink from a water puddle. Then they disappeared back into the bush.

That was well worth a visit! I also got to see a few gnus, oryx, springboks and impalas.

miss_rain says:
very different from your previous blog ... it looks so green here ^-^ good for you that see them in very different seasons
Posted on: Mar 09, 2008
The Okaukuejo waterhole
Walking so close and royally ignor…
Walking so close and royally igno…
photo by: WorldXplorer