Puerto Viejo, Cahuita, Manzanillo

Puerto Viejo Travel Blog

Puerto Viejo

We drove from Turrialba to Puerto Viejo mostly in the dark. The drive to Limon was not particularly a problem, but so much truck traffic, that I resorted to passing at any opportunity - up-hill, blind curve passing no longer bothers me one bit jaja. We found a Texaco at just the right moment. Firstly, it was a landmark to turn for Puerto Viejo and secondly we were out of fuel. For the uninitiated, most people in CR will give directions based on Landmarks (and I thought this was unique to American women - jaja no offense). So I was told to return right at the Texaco, then drive staight to Puerto Viejo and turn left at the bus shelter with the red roof.

Banana Azul
This actually worked and no problem got to the lodge, but I also got directions for a different location to turn 200 meters past the old McDonalds. Now this can present problems in a big way for one that has never been to the area when the old McDonalds actually existed. However, it provided amusement for me. If you take this route at night be extremely cautious. There are many people on bicycles and walking in the roadway. It would be disasterous to take a life on this road. Also, I recommend that if you see women with children walking that you offer a ride. Tico's are proud and usually won't ask for a ride, but when offered it is greatly appreciated.

Upon arrival to the Lodge Banana Azul, we were taking a gentle rain. We got checked in to an awesome simple room with sounds of the jungle and the crashing waves.

Cahuita
Highly recommend this place, it's clean, new (April 2007) and of a really cool style and right on the black sand beach. Also it is close to Town, but obviously a bit of a hike if you have no 4x4.

The point of coming to this place was for SCUBA dive, and of course with my luck it rained for 3 days. One day, big wind, and therefore big waves. Long story short - no diving :( So we instead trekked in the jungle at Cahuita maybe 6 or 7 km. D discovered an old hot springs in the middle of the jungle. Not sure the story on that, but it looked pretty cool. The beach is in sight most of the time, and there are white face and howler monkeys in the natural environment, many beautiful flowers, etc. The sun came out for a while in the afternoon, so a little beach time and swimming.

Cahuita - Hot Spring?
We took lunch at Aunt Elie's. I had Curry Pescado which was so spicy I started to hiccup (and I luv spicy food). Cahuita is a very Jamacian town, Jamacian flags, Bob Marley pictures, Dred's and other typical leafy references everywhere.

We ate breakfast with Colin and Roberto almost everyday. The breakfast is included and is a nice way to meet other travelers and get advice from Colin. Since the rain continued, we decided to take a massage. Colin recommended Jungle Spa which is run by a guy that advised him as he set up his lodge. We went into town to verify with the Scuba shop regarding the canceled dive, then got an espresso at 'Bread and Chocolate'. This is a really cool place, and I'm angry I forgot to take some pix inside of this place. After our espresso we drove to Jungle Spa to make a reserve, then drove down the beach to Manzanillo and beyond almost to Panama.

Jungle Spa
After a day of exploring and lunch at a road side stand of tipico food, we went back to rest at the lodge before going to Jungle Spa for our treatment. Our feet were soaked in lemongrass tea, while we relaxed waiting for the treatment. I had on my 'Detroit' t-shirt and the massuse told me she is from Bloomfield Hills, MI just north of Detroit. It was funny experience, cuz that is a very rich town. I suppose her father is a rich automotive executive, and she left that place to enjoy the simple life.

Puerto Viejo is a rich place with very Bohemian lifestyle and many hippies and outcasts. We enjoyed very much the simple nature of this place and the cheap food and nice hosts at our lodge. At the night music scene is alive a well and we always took a late dinner to pick up some live music. The discoteque had a great playlist, but doesn't start bumpin until 1am. On the last day, we stopped by a cafe to enjoy our daily 1400 espresso. Unfortunately, our enjoyment was spoiled somewhat by a drunk old guy from Ohio. Ei Ei Ei, I felt badly for the Tica's having to deal with this guy. So we sadly leave a nice town with a cool vibe, but with excitement for the adventure ahead.

jmaxiv says:
Oh yes my friend, paradise for sure!!!
Posted on: Oct 09, 2008
nellysweet says:
OMG!!!!!!!!!! You was on the paradise :)
Posted on: Oct 09, 2008
White Face Monkey
White Face Monkey
Howler Monkey
Howler Monkey
Aunt Elies - Hot Hot Hot!!!! Curr…
Aunt Elie's - Hot Hot Hot!!!! Cur…
Ugh, this has been here a while