Ubud Market and Taro Elephant Park

Ubud Travel Blog

Ubud Market
Today was shopping day! Unfortunately I was not much in the mood for it. We started the day with breakfast at Three Monkeys Cafe in Jalan Monkey Forest. It was a fantastic little place with a pond and rice fields out the back. I had the black rice pudding which was very sweet. Yum!

Ubud market was fairly tedious and I got ripped off on numerous occasions. I did buy a few things from a very nice lady who showed me pictures of her family. Megan had fun buying heaps of rubbish (no idea how she is going to get it all home) which she paid much to much for:)

That afternoon we visited the Taro Elephant Park North of Ubud. The roads on the way there were winding and steep and we both felt ill by the time we arrived at the park.
Megan with Sengiggi the Elephant
We saw the elephant show and felt a bit guilty - they didn't make the elephants do anything too bad, but still. We walked around the park and noticed that some of the elephants were chained to the ground with little room to move which was pretty depressing. We found out later that the park is against the elephants being chained up but have no choice as it as a law created by the Indonesian government. The elephants in the park are all logging elephants that have been rescued and rehabilitated. Learning this made us fell a little better. We were also givin the chance to feel and pat the elephants which was fairly amazing. Megan fell in love with one particular elephant whose name was Sengiggi. It was great to see the elephants playing in the large lake, they seemed to love rolling around in the water.

Upon returning to Ubud we ate lunch at Kafe Batan Waru which was great. I had tempe and Megan had fish parcels wrapped in cassava leaves.

Megan and I are just chilling at the homestay now, we probably won't do much as we have a big say tomorrow traveling to Lovina!

Sampai Nanti!