Hiker Chick-Kalalau Trail

Na Pail Coast Travel Blog

Well, I read nearly every blog about the Kalalau Trail before attempting this hike. I got myself so worked up, so nervous, but also so prepared. Maybe I shouldn't have read anything, maybe I should have gone into it blind, but that's just not my style. This hike was difficult. I wasn't in the best physical shape, because I was just recovering from foot surgery. However, the flights had been made and all reservations paid for. There was no turning back. I was going to Hawaii and going to hike that trail! I don't want to give it all away for anyone who reads this, but I'll just tell you some tips: -bring water tablets -bring enough food (my secret trick for extra sugar boost was Starburst-the wrappers are also good at helping mark trails to waterfalls) -get great hiking shoes and buy hiking socks - they're worth the extra money -it can rain, so put everything you want to keep dry in zip bags -take LOTS of breaks throughout the trail -make time to talk to other hikers...you learn a lot that way -the "hippies" are interesting, too...make time to talk to them This hike was an emotional journey for me. Yes, the sights were the most beautiful in all the world, but for me just staying focused on my steps was where my head was. I had a mantra while walking. With every step I repeated this in order to get around the tricky steep steps. At times I hated my boyfriend for wanted me to hike this with him. Other times I loved the sound of the birds all around me, feeling like I was truly one with the Earth and nature. The sounds of the tourist filled helicopters overhead reminded me that civilization was near, even though I felt I was in the midst of nothingness - and everythingness at the same time. The damp smells filled the air, making me feel like I was home in Ohio in the middle of humid July. I missed my daughters, and missed home, but at the same time wanted never to leave. I left the hike skipping and bounding down the last bit of rugged terrain. I felt as if the three days and two nights spent on the trail changed me. It made me stronger. The fears that enveloped me during this trip had been conquered. I was proud! I felt free!
vances says:
Congrats! It is definitely a memorable adventure.
Posted on: Mar 08, 2008