Day 1: Registration

Durban Travel Blog

Arrival at the airport in Durban. A real welcome to make us comfortable in an unfamiliar country.

Day 1:  We would not get to work right away.  Our first day in South Africa we would be checking into our hotel and registering for the project.  To my surprise the hotels we would be staying in were right on the beach of the Indian Ocean.  I really felt like we were getting the elite treatment and with this experience and future experiences I will come to realize how much more giving and gratefull people and businesses can be in other countries versus the United States.  The 5 days in the hotel and fees for the work project are going to cost me as a college student (reduced fees) $500.  That includes money for materials to build the houses.

We spent the day exploring the beach and just getting comfertable with our immediate area.  That night at opening ceremonies we were able to hear from Millard Fuller (founder of Habitat for Humanity), Jimmy Carter and other local leaders.  We were also able to hear a local childrens choir sing the South Africa national anthem (possibly in Zulu or Affrikans not sure) and I almost had tears in my eyes.  It was one of the most beautiful songs especially in another language I had ever heard.  Then it was off to prepare for our week of work.

For those who are not familiar the Jimmy Carter Work Project is once a year where Jimmy Carter and his wife Roslyn Carter work with Habitat for Humanity.  In that one week they work to build an X number of houses with volunteers.  In this project we would be building 100 homes with over 4,000 volunteers from all over the world.  Which explains where my passion for Habitat for Humanity comes from.

Arrival at the airport in Durban. …
Arrival at the airport in Durban.…
photo by: Sjoshie