Making plans for South Africa

Whitewater Travel Blog

I was in my first semester of college feeling a little bit lost.  I'm sure everyone has been there.  Those moments when you are trying to figure out what you will be doing with your life, and feeling the frustration because you think you are standing still.  That is where I was in the fall of 2001.  Going to school, feeling restless and not liking it.  I had talked to my roommate and I was on the verge of dropping out of school to find a job that involved traveling (bad news I was only 18 and to be a flight attendent you must be 19).  But I decided I could finish the year until I turned 19, then I'd be out on my own.  It was this time I set my next travel goal, to reach Africa.  That very night I went to the Habitat for Humanity meeting that was on campus and the campus president made a comment, "if anyone is interested in attending the Jimmy Carter Work Project we want to get a group to go this year.  It will be in Durban South Africa."  This became my immediate motivation in everything I did and what eventually got me involved and got me to stay in school.

However from there I had to convince my family (who was very unfamiliar with anything Africa) that I should skip my cousin's wedding and go for 2 weeks to the otherside of the world and to a country they knew nothing about.  Oh yeah, and the summer before my cousin asked if I would be an usher in his wedding.  His words were along the lines of "I normally wouldn't be asking this early but I know you like to travel and I wanted to make sure you would not be in Africa or some place."  Oops.  To say the least I was able to convince my family and I missed out on an excellent wedding.  But I also had a life changing trip.

photo by: cptcrunch767