Bilbao and the Guggenheim...

Bilbao Travel Blog

We went to Bilbao and it was shut. Whoops! Never go on a Sunday, seriously, don't. We'd had a hard (!) few days seeing the sights of San Sebastian and thought a nice day in Bilbao sampling the tapas and pinxtos there would be a nice treat and it was... but in a completely different way to that which we expected.
The Guggenheim was a building and a half. You cannot find a nicer space, it's not just the building but the surroundings too, the use of glass, titanium, fountains and extensions of the building means that it is a museum, park, public place, part of a flyover and much much more. The sublime exterior is totally alien to its surroundings in a very good way, and from the interior you can see both sides of the river, making it an incredibly inclusive place.
The exhibitions were almost irrelevant compared to the building, but if you like Max Beckmann you'll be happy!
Bilbao had some lovely Belle-epoque architecture, pretty European squares (what the UK lacks is squares!) and gorgeous riverside views. I wishI had gone while it was open, my fault for only budgeting for one day in this lovely city I guess. Next time I will be there for longer!
79 km (49 miles) traveled