Journey to Waverock

Hyden Travel Blog

Christmas tree well
My brother picked me up at 8 in the morning and we took off for a 330km drive eastward :) My brother has a GPS so he typed in Hyden and we followed that, if you have started reading my unfinished Europe blog you will discover that i have no sense of direction and get lost easily :)

We took the Brookton Highway east which i can't believe is a major highway as large portions of it are a single lane with trees either side. Along the way we came across a sign that mentioned Christmas tree well, so we got off the highway and decided to check it out. An Aussie Christmas tree is a beautiful tree covered in orange flowers and the displays are breathtaking. unfortunately for us we visited the well 1 month too soon and none of the trees started flowering yet so the photos we took are just of a hole in the ground :)

back on the road and after an hour of nothing but bush we got to some nice farms and stopped to take some photos as it was a nice change of scenery.
sitting on wave rock
The biggest problem with driving in Australia is that between things you want to see is absolutely nothing for miles and miles.

As we continued our journey east I saw a light aircraft flying overhead and being a plane buff i was interested in what it was doing out here, further up the road we saw a sign to a small airfield and we took the turnoff and went to check it out. The small plane landed just as I was standing on the runway so I got to see the little Cessna land :)

I went over and spoke to the pilot and he said he was teaching his trainee crosswind landings at the airfield as it was very windy here.

We continued our journey and arrived in the town of Hyden about an hour later. We drove straight to Wave rock and had a look around.

The first thing we did was read all the information and history signs at the parking lot before we set off on a 2 hour walk around the whole area.
on the green :)
Matt took his GPS with him and we managed to do a complete loop of the rock and surrounding rock formations. We started off my looking around the Wave rock, from the bottom it doesn't appear that steep, but if you try to climb up it you realize that it is very very steep. I managed to climb up about 5 meters and just after Matt took the photo i slide all the way down :) It is a very cool rock formation, afterwards we continued the walk around the area. Along the way we past by the golf course and I took a few photos of the green (which is just a pile of dirt). At the back of the Hyden rock (Wave rock is only 1 face of a much bigger rock) is Hyden Dam which is very nice.

I had heard from other people that there was a big rock that looked like a giant Hippopotamus yawning and i decided i wanted to see it and went looking for it.
Hippos Yawn
I came across a claw on top of Hyden rock that i though was it but it was just a small cool rock :) near by to the tiger claw was a formation i have called Hippos butt because from a distance it does look like one :P We eventually found Hippos Yawn which was MASSIVE and then i realized how pathetic my little tiger claw was by comparison.

Having seen all i wanted to see of the rock we took off and headed towards a cave called Mulkas cave which is supposedly a historic aboriginal site. I personally think its just a created tourist attraction with fake art inside, but i thought it is still a nice cave and i like the artwork inside. After a good look around we headed back into Hyden for a quick feed and then enjoyed the 4 hour drive back to Perth.

It was a very good day and I enjoyed spending time with my brother at a nice spot, i recommend driving here yourself rather than a coach tour as you will get to spend much more time here and really enjoy the scenery.

oldschoolbill says: