In praise of the compression sack.

Chicago Travel Blog

Before and after. Seriously!
Something of a small miracle today.

I had carefully selected all of the items I wish to carry with me on my trip around the world. It had required much research (here on travbuddy and with various RTW travel books). But even after some painful editing it STILL wouldn't all fit in the carry-on sized wheelie bag I wanted to use for the trip.  It was looking like I would have to take the (larger) backpack, which probably meant checking my luggage along the way. Not my first choice considering my record with lost luggage (see my blog on Dominica :^).

And then husband Steve introduced me to the compression sack he bought last weekend at Erehwon. With just one sack (you fill it up with clothes and then use the straps to cinch it down, removing all air and space between the items) I was able to reduce my clothes enough to fit them all, plus four pairs of shoes, one gigantic zoom lens, 12 pairs of contact lenses, and four guide books into one carry-on bag! Tell me that isn't miraculous.

Of course, it is likely my clothes will look like wadded up kleenex when I arrive at my first stop, but a few wrinkles are acceptable when one is on vacation, right?

cmgervais says:
It's a "small" and it tucks into my bag along with several Eagle Creek packing cubes...
Posted on: Jun 23, 2008
portia says:
what size is your red sack?
Posted on: Jun 22, 2008
cmgervais says:
Yes, I have had it with me all this time, and it is working wonderfully!
Posted on: Jun 22, 2008