Errands and admin in the Rose of the North*.
Chiang Mai Travel Blog› entry 72 of 251 › view all entries
May 20th, 2008 – by: cmgervais
1) Spent the morning researching accommodations since I have nothing planned beyond Chiang Mai and we were supposed to leave tomorrow! (I delayed our departure by a day and changed the destination. Laos, here we come!)
2) Succumbed to curiosity and tried out the scale the hotel has so kindly supplied with the room.
3) Spent the next hour in the fitness room.
4) Steve and I stopped to pick up aour airline tickets from Jimmy the Travel Agent. I was having trouble with the Laos Airline website, so Jimmy helped us out. we are now booked to Luang Pranbang on May 22, and then to Siem Riep, Cambodia on May 26.
5) Strolled through another temple in the area, Wat Chaimongkol, known for the “serenity of its grounds.
6) Went to post office to mail home some of my purchases and travel books. The cost of mailing far exceeded the value of the contents!
7) Lunch at Antique House. I had the papaya salad (very good but not spicy enough), and Steve had his new favorite Thai dish, American Fried Rice. It was served with a piece of fried chicken! It got two thumbs up from Steve.
8) Booked a trip for tomorrow with our driver from yesterday. Then he gave us a ride to the bank for no charge. Nice guy.
9) Replaced my stolen traveller’s checks at the Bank of Bangkok. This took 40 minutes and 6 employees (none over 25 years old!). They were all so sweet and smiling. And, it's such a relief to have that taken care of.
10) Starbucks for a little pick-me-up.
11) Took the free shuttle to the shopping mall. I don’t know how we ended up at SIZZLER of all places … the salad bar was calling to me? It was great! I must have eaten a bushel of asparagus. Steve had a cheeseburger. We each have our own idea of comfort food :^)
P.S. Chaing Mai’s nickname is “the rose of the north.”
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!