Errands and admin in the Rose of the North*.

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

Steve in the fitness room at the Royal Princess.
The lazy blog: bullet points.

1) Spent the morning researching accommodations since I have nothing planned beyond Chiang Mai and we were supposed to leave tomorrow! (I delayed our departure by a day and changed the destination. Laos, here we come!)

2) Succumbed to curiosity and tried out the scale the hotel has so kindly supplied with the room.

3) Spent the next hour in the fitness room.

4) Steve and I stopped to pick up aour airline tickets from Jimmy the Travel Agent. I was having trouble with the Laos Airline website, so Jimmy helped us out. we are now booked to Luang Pranbang on May 22, and then to Siem Riep, Cambodia on May 26.

5) Strolled through another temple in the area, Wat Chaimongkol, known for the “serenity of its grounds.
Me and Jimmy the Travel Agent.
”  There was construction and debris, and no evidence of serenity to be found, anywhere.

6) Went to post office to mail home some of my purchases and travel books. The cost of mailing far exceeded the value of the contents!

7) Lunch at Antique House. I had the papaya salad (very good but not spicy enough), and Steve had his new favorite Thai dish, American Fried Rice. It was served with a piece of fried chicken! It got two thumbs up from Steve.

8) Booked a trip for tomorrow with our driver from yesterday. Then he gave us a ride to the bank for no charge. Nice guy.

9) Replaced my stolen traveller’s checks at the Bank of Bangkok. This took 40 minutes and 6 employees (none over 25 years old!). They were all so sweet and smiling. And, it's such a relief to have that taken care of.

10) Starbucks for a little pick-me-up.

11) Took the free shuttle to the shopping mall. I don’t know how we ended up at SIZZLER of all places … the salad bar was calling to me? It was great! I must have eaten a bushel of asparagus. Steve had a cheeseburger. We each have our own idea of comfort food :^)

P.S. Chaing Mai’s nickname is “the rose of the north.”

lrecht says:
Woohoo! You guys will love Luang Prabang and of course Siem Reap is awesome if a bit touristy. It is a long way off but if you can get there Luang Nam Tha way up north (and especially the Boat Landing Guest House) is an awesome place. Also definitely try TAMARIND RESTAURANT in LP - great food and they can arrange cool, custom meals/shopping.

More blog links if you are bored and reading...

LP http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/2539/Lazing-around-in-Luang-Prabang-Luang-Prabang-13

LNT http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/2539/Crossing-into-Laos-Same-Same-but-Different-Louang-Namtha-11

Siem Reap http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/2539/Its-a-Holiday-in-Cambodia-Siem-Reap-17
Posted on: May 21, 2008
stabber911 says:
OMG, I am thinking about food in Thailand. With all the yummy food and fruit in Thailand, and also avaliable food 24 hours! I am actually really wander how could Thai gal keep their shape in thailand. I know everytime I went back to Thailand, I would put on weight!
Posted on: May 21, 2008
Steve in the fitness room at the R…
Steve in the fitness room at the …
Wat Chaimongkol.
Wat Chaimongkol.
Me at the post office.
Me at the post office.
Steve and his American fried rice.
Steve and his American fried rice.
Mmmm.
Mmmm.
Free shuttle to the mall.
Free shuttle to the mall.
Sizzler salad bar, 199 baht.
Sizzler salad bar, 199 baht.
Chiang Mai