Delhi: happy to be just passing through.

New Delhi Travel Blog

Moshing at the luggage carousel.
Our flight from Bagdogra to Delhi wasn't too pleasant, but at least it was quick (2 hours).  I read my book and chatted with my Canadian neighbor, while Steve amused himself by watching the anarchy in front of us: a contingent of ill-behaved children fighting, jumping over seats, and screaming their little heads off. It was real cute. Yeah.

Unfortunately our budget carrier, SpiceJet, didn't really serve food (OK, I bought a veg sandwich but it was completly inedible), and we hadn't eaten during our marathon wait at the airport. So we were pretty hungry-- as well as hot and tired-- as we waited for our luggage at the carousel. The carousel was surrounded by hoards of people crowding the conveyor area with their carts. Each person seemed to have no fewer than three bags.
Delhi traffic.
The whole place was completely disorganized, with everyone shoving and pushing with their carts to get to the luggage. I wanted to scream, Hey! There's a better way to do this! but instead Steve just found an empty area in the back, grabbed the bags, and pushed his way out. At this point we had both had quite enough travel. We were hungry, tired, and pretty sick of our fellow humans. On an individual and personal level, everyone here in India seems unfailingly polite, but I am completely floored by how loud and rude the general population can be. Children, especially, seem to do whatever they want, completely unfettered by discipline of any sort. It gets grating when one has been traveling for hours hours on end.

So we got our luggage, but our already-long day was far from over.
Delhi, as glimpsed from the car.
It was then time for the five hour drive to Agra! We were met by the driver I had hired in advance, who could not seem to understand that we were starving and really wanted to stop for food. Delhi seemed dirty and chaotic, and I felt glad we had decided to move on right away. Finally after about two hours spent exiting the city, our driver stopped for us. At a McDonalds! Steve and I never, ever eat at McDonald's but we both were craving familiarity, so McDs kind of hit the spot. Steve had THREE filet-o-fish sandwiches (no beef served at McDonalds in India) and I had a McVeggie Burger. it was like bizarro McDonald's! Veggie Burgers!?! Fantastic! It took forever to get our food, and there was loud music blaring. We were so hungry. Then the power went off for awhile. I have never seen Steve so beat down and frustrated by travel. Both of us thinking the same thing, Will this day ever end?

New Delhi