Buenos Aires... one more time!

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

Our room at Axel Hotel.

Steve and I keep finding ourselves back in Buenos Aires. It’s been the hub for all the mini trips we have made in this region, and by now I know the two airports here as well as I know O’Hare and Midway at home. We are back today for one last time, on an overnight before heading to the other side of the continent (Quito) tomorrow.

This time we are staying in the San Telmo neighborhood, at the Axel Hotel. Axel definitely targets (and employs) gay men, but they are ‘hetero-friendly’ as well (as it says that on their literature), and the service is great. It’s beautiful and modern, and the price was pretty good for such a chic place ($130/night).

Our explorations of the neighborhood today seemed to be centered on food.
Lunch at La Brigada again.
For lunch, we returned to La Brigada, the steak place we tried last time we were here. I really liked the salad before, so I ordered the same thing this time. Steve had veal kidneys and a sausage (“just OK.”) We noticed bottles of wine at all the other tables and it looked pretty good, so we also shared a half bottle of tasty Malbec wine. We first tried this variety in Patagonia and loved it… and it was excellent today in San Telmo, too.

After lunch we walked through the neighborhood and did a little shopping. Steve broke his headphones this morning while packing and had to find a replacement set. After much walking and one headphone purchase, we headed back to the room to relax and make some travel bookings. We then worked out in the super mod fitness room, which is next to a glass-bottom pooled.
Japanese food in Buenos Aires!
The pool is on the top floor, and you can see people swimming in it way down on the first floor. Pretty cool, although there's no way you'd get me into it!

After catching up on some TravBuddy and reading one of Reikunboy’s restaurant reviews I was hungry for Japanese food. That sounds like a pretty hopeless craving in Buenos Aires, but as luck would have it, there was a sushi place just four blocks away! I had vegetarian maki and Steve had a combo plate (NY, CA, PH rolls) and it was really, really good. What a treat to have something completely different from the same ole food we keep getting.

Friday night and the city is pulsing with energy. We can hear it from the room. The locals will party until 6am... which is when the cab will be picking us up to go to the airport. Ugh!

Axel Hotel.
Axel Hotel.
The top floor pool as seen from be…
The top floor pool as seen from b…
Steves combo plate.
Steve's combo plate.
My vegetarian maki was excellent.
My vegetarian maki was excellent.