We're Home!

Texas Travel Blog

After a good night's sleep in the RV at Brownwood, TX Walmart parking lot, we headed for home.  We did stop to help an adventure cyclist by giving him and the damaged bike (derailleur problem) a lift into Austin.  It was a minor detour for us and today was his final leg on a journey from Flagstaff.  A good deed and diversion for a short time.

Finally we rolled into our community, that reminded me of Hollywood.  All the cars were shiny and expensive, the houses looked like mansions... It's like the whole place is a big country club!  It's definitely a bubble in comparison to the rest of America.  I won't get into whether it is healthy or just.  It just was noticeable to me now.

We're so happy to see Ned and our dogs!  Ned had prepared a Pina Colada (for me), cookies, and appetizers for us- very nice!  Our house feels enormous, comfortable, and pretty.  We have sinks everywhere.  Ice just pops out of the refrigerator door, along with cold and potable water- A miracle!

We'll be heading out in Ciao Baby again as a family in a few days, so we're just unloading a few things from the RV, although we are promising not to take all that on our next major journey's leg.

Ciao Baby crossed 120,500 on the odometer and we drove 17,967.1 miles on our trip!  Just 32.9 miles from 18,000 miles. I cannot believe that we had no emergency problems.  I got the cab A/C fixed in June and the brakes replaced in September- that's it.  Ciao did a terrific job for the team!

We'll enjoy about a month at home before we head south of the border.  We'll focus on schoolwork, Spanish, RV preparation, and research for Mexico and Central America.  Maybe by then we'll have itchy feet.  In the meantime though, we'll luxuriate in the niceties that we formerly took for granted - like a long soak in a hot tub!

It's nice to be home!

Here are some stats:

June 1 - October 11 (133 days= 4 months, 11 days)

Wild West, Canada, Arctic Circle, Alaska:  complete

National Parks: TBA (34?)

UNESCO World Heritage Sites:  TBA (6?)

Miles Driven in Ciao Baby on this trip:  18,000 miles

angelldy77 says:
So glad to hear you made it home safely! It was great to finally meet all of you in Albuquerque. We will continue to follow your travels through this blog and hope to meet up with all of you again someday. Maybe next time we can meet Ned too! Stay in touch.

Mando & Linda (safely home after a windy 2 day drive back to So. California!)
Posted on: Oct 13, 2008
TerryKaren says:
Karen and I are glad you are home safe and sound. Thank you for allowing use to be a small part of your world tour. Enjoy your time at home and we are looking forward to more of your adventures.

Posted on: Oct 11, 2008