Tok- the end of our Alaskan loop

Tok Travel Blog

Tok marks the end of the line for us on the Alaskan roads.  We've looped around from Eagle, Chicken, Tok, Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula, Valdez and then back up to Tok.  Most of the roads in our Milepost and Church's book have been highlighted and enjoyed.

We did not take the Richardson Hwy from Glennallen to Delta Junction, the Denali Highway between Cantwell and Paxson, nor the Steese and Dalton Hwys up to Prudhoe Bay.  But we are glad we detoured for Inuvik on the Dempster Hwy, up the Dalton Hwy to Eagle, and the extras mileage to Kenai, Seward, and Valdez on the Kenai Peninsula.  Yesterday, we crossed 10,000 miles on our journey!

We'll cross into Canada today in about an hour and a half, as we head for the Southest portion of the Alaska inside passage, where we'll hop on the ferry in Haines.  We noticed this morning that the leaves were starting to change as it's now mid-August.

We finally have internet and cell phone connection now that we've made it to Tok.  It has been a few days and we're woefully behind on our emails.  Will try to upload photos too when I can.

We're trying to make it down to Kluane National Forest in Canada for tonight, so we can have a few nights in Haines before the ferry, so it may be awhile before I've caught up on everything as I don't use my Verizon aircard in Canada.

Alaska has been incredible!  The sweet, clean air, dramatic mountains, clear water, glaciers, and wildlife appeal to all the senses.  The people make it special too.  We are so fortunate to have such an incredible state in our country - I'm happy that so much of it is protected wild lands.

Tok