More Yosemite Fun

Yosemite National Park Travel Blog

9.19.08 Yosemite

We paid for another night at Crane Flat Campground and then wandered down to the Valley.  It is a 16-mile curvy, beautiful drive to the Day Parking Lot.  The fire was still smoldering in the forest by the road, but traffic was not stopped today.  In fact, we saw no one even monitoring all the smoking area!

The “big wall” rock climber’s exhibit in the Museum was fascinating.  I was really tempted to buy the book, “Off the Wall” with stories of climbers’ demises, just to convince Lia not to do it.  It was similar to the book about the Grand Canyon called “Over the Edge” which is morbidly fascinating.

We enjoyed the shuttle to the Curry Village, where we wandered up to the Campground Reservation desk for the “in the valley” campgrounds at 1:30 pm, only halfway interested in securing a village campsite.  We did note today that the road south toward Sequoia NP is via the Valley.  So we justified that the money we saved in gas would equal what we lost from the Crane Flat campsite.

So we returned at 3pm to see if we got a site on this Friday night, at Yosemite, in the Valley.  At first, we did not.  Only 16 sites were available and we were 25th on the list, although some people were not there for the readout.  I guess they’d changed their minds.

However, while I was waiting afterward to see how far the Ranger had gotten down the waitlist, someone returned 2 cards to the Ranger because the people had changed their minds.

The Ranger continued calling down the list (some people had left) and we got a card for a campsite!

Then we were able to bless a young couple from Germany with our Crane Flat campsite.  We gave them our windshield receipt and my cell phone number just in case - I told the Ranger at Curry what I was doing, which was fine with them.  So I hope everything worked out okay for them in setting up a tent up there in Crane Flat.  I was going to offer to let them stay on our site up there, even if we were staying, as there was plenty of room.  They seemed really happy to have secured a (free) campsite in the park and we were happy we could help.

Of course, now as I type this, I wonder if we could have just offered them space on our site here!  Ugh.

I didn’t think of that.  But there is much less space here and I hope they are enjoying that prettier location.  I’ll have to remember that opportunity to share a site with tenters.  We have such airtight RV windows that we rarely hear anything outside, so nearby neighbors are no trouble for us.

We visited the sani-station in the Upper Pines Campground (I think it’s the only dump station in Yosemite) and then went to our new site in the North Pines Campground.  We saw a lovely red Lazy Daze (the Collins) in the first site and then pulled a few sites down to go directly beside a lovely blue Lazy Daze (Gary and Barbie) – Wow!  California is Lazy Daze Heaven!

We biked around the campground, the nearby horse stables, and Happy Isle area with nature center, marsh, etc.

This is a very pretty park that really is “loved to death” even in the “off-season”.  While park services are reduced in both hours and offerings, the park is very full and busy.  I can only imagine how popular it is in the summer!  We definitely could add to our “RV2:  We’re Living It!” movie script from the laisez-faire attitude of Rangers in this lovely wilderness park.  The free shuttle service is very nice with hybrid buses and an easy-to-understand number system with good routes and helpful drivers.

Fire banding in Yosemite near road
Ranger reading names for Valley ca…
Ranger reading names for Valley c…
Wawona lodge