Judge Roy Bean's Law West of the Pecos

Langtry Travel Blog

6:07 pm, Monday, June 2

We're at Roy Bean's Visitor's Center in Langtry, TX (i.e. on Hwy 90 west of Del Rio and we have wi-fi at this visitor's center.).  It is some barren, arid land.  We crossed of the Pecos after going through an immigration checkpoint on this road that is so barren, folk wave when they pass.

Earlier we went to the Alamo Village and got to meet Richard Carillo, whom we'd read about ahead of time.  He wrote to the movie set when he was 13 years old, before I was born and was involved with it ever since.  We saw the set where John Wayne filmed "The Alamo" and they had a hilarious gunfight show.  There were probably a dozen visitors in the whole place- fun!  We saw cows in the road and Lia enjoyed mooing at them out the window.

Can you say hot?  Dry, windy, arid hot?  As we expected, it is definitely the Wild West out here.

Lia and Charles went for a dip in the fresh spring again this morn before we left Fort Clark.  It is cold enough to about numb your feet while sitting on the edge dangling them in!

Drove through Del Rio- very busy for 3:30 in the afternoon- lots of traffic.  The U.S. Air Force base is there.

We're trying to get to Marathon tonight- close to Big Bend.  Brochures and info from this Visitor's Center shows RV parks.  We also want to see the Historic Gage Hotel and go to the "French Grocer" there in town (that the Visitor's Center lady told us about).

Thank goodness for air conditioning and the generator air conditioner.  We have the back closed off and all the curtains drawn to keep it cool.  It's a good thing the pups stayed home- they'd die in this heat.

Oh, we also went through a cactus garden and the original Saloon where Judge Bean dished out his unique brand of wild west justice.

Here is a quote of the day (just for fun):  Lia in the RV:  "Is it me, or is everyone in my way?"

Lia's next research question:  "Do vultures eat their family members when they die?"  Hmmm.  That's a good, morbid question.

Charles had a good one too, but now none of us can remember.

We cannot seem to get emails sent- authentication issues.  I hope dear friends and family will read here.  Big hugs!

Off to Marathon!

proller says:
Hey! Sounds like you're off to a fun start. Now that I have this blog thing figured out, it's neat (duh!).
I'm 40 pages into "One Year Off" . . . got ants in my pants already - Dangerous reading!! Anyway, hope ya'll get to Big Bend safe and sound. Enjoy reading your posts - always entertaining.
Big hugs from Nashville!