Hot in Death Valley- and Las Vegas, Baby!

Las Vegas Travel Blog

By mid-morning the temperature in Death Valley was 105.  It was HOT.  I don't care how dry the air was.  Hot is hot.

This morning the kids took another dip in the pool at Stovepipe Wells while I uploaded blog pics.  Then we headed over to the enticing names of some of the Park's natural features:  Devil's Cornfield, the Harmony Borax Works interpretive trail, Salt Creek, and on to the Furnace Creek Visitor's Center.  We enjoyed a narrated slide show, exhibits, and gift shop at the headquarters.

We were very impressed with everyone we met who worked in Death Valley, including all the Rangers, as they were very nice.

We took a Ranger's advice and drove 18 miles through spectacular mountains, down to 282 feet below sea level, to Badwater.

Badwater had a very small pool of salty water, which really DID look bad.  We enjoyed the sign on the mountain that indicated where sea level elevation was located.  Then we drove back up to Furnace Creek and out from there for better roads.

Did you know that Death Valley has the most consistently hot and dry climate in the WORLD?  Also, the 282 feet below sea level (and dropping) elevation at Badwater is the lowest in entire Western Hemisphere.

Death Valley was a shockingly beautiful place with the high mountains of many colors, amazing sand dunes, gorgeous desert colors and brilliant nighttime star drama.  I was extremely impressed with the National Park and it was a favorite, even with the heat.

Also interesting was that probably 90% of the visitors were international tourists, which made conversations interesting.  We tried to help some guys from Holland with their car's engine light, but other than inadvertently teach them how to use the key fob to unlock the passenger doors, and give them some water and cold drinks, we weren't much help and sent them off to the folks in the Registration Office.  I think they were just mad that they'd spent 3 weeks with that rental car and didn't know to push the key fob twice to unlock all doors.  :)

Then it was on to Vegas!  Thanks to our GPS, we drove straight to the KOA Circus-Circus parking lot that has 399 spaces for over $50 a night, but it is full hookup.

Other than being in rush hour, it was a quick and easy few hours drive.  As our registration was obviously taking a long time, I had the kids start the laundry at the campground and they were finished loading washers before I was done.  Then we ate dinner, finished laundry, and headed out to the Las Vegas Strip!

Well, you can describe to kids how tacky, bright, and fun a place might be but when they're so horrified by the outfits ladies are wearing in advertisements all over the buses, taxis, sides of buildings, magazine covers, etc, it is just hard to get them past that.  In spite of the fact that it was as bright as day and that nearly everyone walking was a tourist, they apparently felt very vulnerable and Jazy in particular was unamused.  I think she's really tired from staying up late last night for the pool.  While I don't agree with some of the city's antics, I do think that an original place deserves to be appreciated for its uniqueness.

So we finished up with some Krispy-Kreme doughnuts, which made everything alright, and plan to get some good sleep before heading east tomorrow.

Circus Circus KOA RV Park