Made it to Fuerteventura

Corralejo Travel Blog

I finally made it to Fuerteventura - coming here has been in the back of my mind since 1993 when I was offered a job here.  I think my expectations are reasonable - I'm not expecting too much, the best things should be the scenery and lonely beaches (especially at this time of the year).  We arrived to a little town called Corralejo.  There wasn't too much to see there,  As far as Spanish towns go, this isn't one particularly worth a visit - nothing much to see.  Kind of dusty and run down, but once we got on our way we drove through the Parque Natural de las Dunas de Corralejo y la Isla de Lobos which has fantastic has some beautiful beaches.  I pulled over and stopped at one really beautiful spot.

The beach had some interesting tidepools at one end and miles of white sand and turquoise water.  There were lots of guys out on the water with surfboards, but there wasn't much for them to do - there wasn't much surf at all.  It's a shame it's not a little warmer - February probably isn't the best time of the year to come here - it got a little cloudy and was too cool for a swim in the water.  All of the surfers were wearing wetsuits.  I noticed a lot of jellyfish had drifted onto the beach - dark blue jellyfish - all up and down the beach.  Another reason to think twice before diving in.

photo by: EmyG