From winter in Warsaw to springtime in Spain....

Warsaw Travel Blog

First view from the plane.

A week away...  I need some Sun and a break from work.  A week in the Canary Islands is going to be fantastic.   Last night in Warsaw was one of those wild stormy nights that I really love, the wind was howling and was so strong that it seemed the windows would break.  It was pouring rain and the lightning and thunder were amazing.   This morning, on the other hand, is one of the most beautiful, clear mornings I remember in this city.  A good start for some days away.

We called a taxi to pick us up and take us to the airport.  The taxi driver was early, we were early and we headed towards the airport.

Escudo de Lanzarote
  Usually I'm the guy who forgets something - keys, wallet, cell phone - but this time it's my friend Michal...  We got half way to the airport when he realized he didn't have his phone so we turned around...  Important to leave for the airport with plenty of time to spare... No problem, we still arrived early!  At the airport I'm surprised at how many people are in the line for Lanzarote. It looks like the plane is going to be jam packed.

This trip gives me a chance to finally visit Fuerteventura, which is an island I have been curious about for years.  I had a job offer there years ago and didn't take it - now I'd like to see where I would have worked!  The flight from Warsaw to Arrecife is on an airline that I had never heard of before called Eurocypria.

Lanzarote
  The flight is completely full, of extremely happy Polish people...  :-)    There's a large group of salesmen or something like that wearing matching ID badges hanging from badges with the brand "STR8" on them - a brand of cologne that I've seen in the store here.

Once we are up in the air, the party begins.  Bottles of vodka and flasks of whisky appear out of nowhere...  The flight is pretty entertaining watching these people party, carouse, sneak the bottles in and out of their hand luggage and order amazing amounts of coke or orange juice for mixing.  Quite a party.  The only ones who weren't too happy about the arrangement were the stewardesses.  They had a hard time dealing with all the festivities!  I was even offered me a drink or two.

Fuerteventura
..  As I wrote this, my neighbor was already on his second bottle of Johnnie Walker! (not by himself - this guy was sharing!) The plane was a Boeing 737-800 with room for 192 passengers.  There wasn't a seat to spare.  Our route takes us over Germany, Switzerland, France, Spain, Portugal and finally across a bit of the Atlantic Ocean til we reached Lanzarote.

The guy sitting next to me was pretty entertaining.  (In these situations you can either have a good time and roll with the punches or be difficult - this was a vacation and I decided for the former!)  He ended up going through two bottles of Johnnie Walkers and one of Jack Daniels (again, not by himself - he was sharing with plenty of people!)  Unfortunately my Polish still isn't good enough to follow the friendly conversation he offered...  I'm working on it, but it's quite a project.

Warsaw