Recovering

London Travel Blog

Food hall in Harrod's

Spend Sunday afternoon and evening at the hospital with Andrew.  He and Ken are having a good time chatting and watching the goings on in the Ward.  Staff changes bring on many different nationalities and Ken is practising his thank-you's in every language.  Two more men and a 14 year old boy are admitted and their ward is full.  Late in the evening I get a call from Andrew to say that he will be discharged in the morning so I make my way there for the 9am anticipated time the next day.  With all the happenings he reluctantly orders lunch at my suggestion and as we don't get out until 3.30pm he is very glad.  The final hold up was waiting for his medication to come up from the pharmacy.  No, we couldn't go and get it as the courier was somewhere unknown.

Kew Gardens
Andrew's excavated wound site has to be un-packed and re-packed and dressed and as I may well be doing this when we leave the country, I watch.  I am not impressed with several things that the nurse does and know that I will do things a little differently when it is my turn.

Today we catch the tube to a 'Walk in Clinic' in Parson's Green and this nurse does a much more sympathetic job of  packing and dressing and explains why the hole has to be packed while it heals.  She has him lie on his stomach as I ended up suggesting to the other nurse. It was a better way than have him swaying  and moving from the pain as the first nurse did when she probed the wound while Andrew was in a sitting position!

Tonight we are meeting Lorna from the Folk Festivals for dinner as she is in London for the day collecting some of her belongings.

Double decker bus touring in summer
  We are planning to go and do some tourist things after clinic appointments over the next few days like the British Museum and Kew Gardens.

We did dinner with Lorna and a friend she met while doing some alternative medicine course.   It was a great evening and Wendy had lived in Canberra for 10 years and also had done 12 months in Melbourne so we had lotsto talk about.  At our daily visit to the clinic we get another different nurse on day 3, then on day 4 he sees us again and tells me that I am doing the work on this day!!  The packing is pretty untidy as I try to do it without hurting Andrew too much.  Day 5 and I do a reasonable job the Jamaican nurse tells me.  Day 6 and it is our guy again and he said that he was off to make a cup of tea while I did the dressing!  He didn't but he did 'find' that some squeezy one shot saline solution containers had accidently  appeared in my hand bag!  We have been unsuccessful in buying or ordering them from about 10 chemists in London for the next 4 weeks of our travels home.

the tower with Big Ben

Did make it out to Kew Gardens and while we found the entry price very expensive (£12.50 each),we spent a couple of hours walking around the extensive grounds.  Today we went back into central London and took another double decker bus tour as the last was in March and it was so cold.  Tomorrow we will go back in and use the Thames boat trip segment of the tour.

I have packed my suitcase and I know that I can travel without cabin luggage.  Will jus tthink out my wardrobe carefully for an evening flight into Eygypt arriving at 23.55 hours!

pacovera says:
Our better desires for you and yours, Alison.
Posted on: Aug 27, 2006