China and HK so far

Hong Kong Travel Blog

Hong Kong to China

I have not written anything for Travbuddy for a while so I thought I would make amends by typing an update on my trip so far. Hong Kong was enjoyable, the last time I visited I left in fairly low spirits being quite disappointed with the place and not really appreciating the vibrancy and energy. In hind sight I now know this was mainly to do with coming to the end of my relationship with my girlfriend at the time and being generally down. So this time I got out and about in HK and had a blast. LKF (Lan Kwai Fong) was awesome and a good night was had there chatting with locals and travellers from all over – I went to the peak and had a meal and another great evening at the massive IFC2 tower (there is a well hidden bar just at the base outside).

The pollution was as bad – if not a little worse than last time but I managed to get some good pics of the place and these are posted.

Then I flew on to Beijing and although I was bracing myself for the pollution I was stunned by how bad it is. As the plane landed you could actually feel the fumes from the air in your throat…a young child behind me started coughing really badly. I took a taxi to the hotel (Kempinski…very nice) and stayed there. I was not brave enough to venture outside beyond my work commitments so did not get to any of my favourite haunts in the great city.

I did enjoy a Chinese haircut – they washed my hair – massaged my scalp – gently removed what little hair I have remaining – and then washed and massaged my scalp again. I have forgotten just how pleasurable it is to have your hair washed by someone else..I almost wish I had not had it cut so short so I could have another one.

Anyway…onwards now to Chengdu, Chongqing, Shanghai and Guangzhou! The Malaysia and then back to old blighty!

2,550 km (1,584 miles) traveled