AfricaEgyptCairo

Coptic Cairo: Coptic What? Never heard of it before.

Cairo Travel Blog

 › entry 16 of 30 › view all entries
Little townhouse cemetary.
It's okay if you too are scratching your head going "What's Coptic?"  And don't feel ignorant for having never heard of them - they don't exist outside of Egypt.  In Egypt, 95% of the population is Muslim; the other 5% is Coptic.  Coptic is a very small sect of Christianity that exists only in Egypt.  It is said that spoken Coptic was derived from Demotic (the last spoken form of Ancient Egyptian).  It is questionable whether this is true - but even if it is, they derived their language from a form of Ancient Egyptian language that began during the Late Period (25th Dynasty).  So, Late Period = no browny points for you Coptic. The Coptic Churches are, for the most part, located in one part of Cairo - hence it being dubbed Coptic Cairo.  The Hanging Church had been built on top of the Water Gate of Roman Cairo.  It hangs 15m off the ground and is very unique structure to look at.  There was also the Monastery, the Convent and a confused Greek Orthodox Church of St. George (which doesn't really belong anywhere in Cairo).  All of Coptic Cairo is surrounded by a wall, the cobblestone streets are sunken below the main level of Cairo.  We also wandered through the large Coptic cemetary with graves that looked like mini-townhouses.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Little townhouse cemetary.
Little townhouse cemetary.
Sunken streets.
Sunken streets.
Hanging church.
Hanging church.
Hanging church.
Hanging church.
Hanging Church.
Hanging Church.
Hanging Church.
Hanging Church.
Hanging Church.
Hanging Church.
Monastery.
Monastery.
Roman Tower.
Roman Tower.
Sunken streets.
Sunken streets.
Cairo
photo by: vulindlela