Walking and eating...

Paris Travel Blog

pretty much sums up my whole trip!

Today we woke up rather late, oh well! No complaints from me! We jumped the Metro (why can't the US have systems like this??) and headed over to Notre Dame. Both Meghan and I agree that it's an ok building, until you see if from the back...much cooler! After Notre Dame we just wandered!

Now, the only thing that was really "on my list" this time in Paris was to see the Pletzel, the Jewish part of town. When I told this to Meghan she didn't really know where it was and we were going to look it up...but we didn't need to! As we were wandering through random streets we wound up at rue des Rosiers and the Pletzel...really cool, except it was Saturday...the Sabbath.

..nothing was open! So, we wandered back by Notre Dame to check it out from the back (see, we think it's cool that way...) and there's this little park we decided to check out, the Place de l'Ile de France aka the Memorial to the Unknown Deportee aka a memorial to the 200,000 French men, women, and children, Jews and Christians were put to death during WWII. Inside the memorial which is very understated and evokes a massive emotional response are several meaingful quotes (in French so Meghan translated for me...) as well as a "hall" of lights- one for each French person who died during the war. As you leave, the French words above the door speak volumes - "Forgive, but do not forget!"

So, after that fabulous emotional trip it was time for dinner! Sally, Meghan's friend had invited us over for Raclette. If you have never had it before, do! It was one of the best meals I have EVER had! It's basically meat, cheese, bread and potatoes....SO FREAKING GOOD! You melt the cheese and then pour it over the meat or bread or potatoes that you want...declicious!

Paris