A Day of Rest

Marrakech Travel Blog

So, today again woke up to the sun shining and a beautiful breakfast (I could really get used to this...) We decided last night that we wanted to try a hammam so we talked to Peter about the best place to go without a reservation. He gave us the flyer for this one place (I will find the name...) and we set off feeling fairly confident in being able to find the place...yeah, we were wrong! Anyway, about 4 wrong turns later we made it there, the place with the BIG sign that says Hammam...yeah, ok, got it!

So we get in and the guy figures out we're American and apparantly LOVES us, he maybe the last forigen person in the world who loves Americans so more power to him! We decided on the full treatment. It was 370 dirhams or about $45 US. It includes the steam, exfoliation, massage, and seaweed wrap.

So, at first we had no idea what was going on or what we were supposed to do, but we kinda got the hang of it- go where she points. It was a rather intense process:

1. Steam and wash with black soap
  2. Scrub (I'm pretty sure they use sandpaper! You can literally see your skin coming off...well, the dead skin)
  3. Shower
  4. "massage"- now this is not what we generally think of when we think of a massage, it was deep tissue, but much more vigerous rather than traditionally relaxing
  5. Seaweed wrap- I've never had this before but it was hot, like on your skin burning hot...but I guess it felt good after I was wrapped up like a sushi roll!
  6. Shower, shampoo
  7. Get out!

Haha! It really does make your skin feel AMAZING and you definitly have a healthy glow, but the whole process is very much like being put into a whirlwind and being spit out! I did really enjoy it and almost two weeks later my skin still feels great!

So after that process, and looking very attractive might I say, we jetted back to the square to round up all of our final purchases and for lunch and then back to the riad to relax the evening away.

I forgot to mention that often for a dessert they serve fresh oranges with cinnamon and sometimes sugar, so good!

We read up on the terrace and took in the sun. That night we had dinner at Dar Zaman (our riad) and it was incredible! We had a lamb tangine and it was amazing! Fatima is an amazing cook and had I known how delicious it was I would have eaten every meal there...well, not really it was a smidge expensive- but SOOO good!

Marrakech