Carnaval 2008, Uden, The Netherlands

Uden Travel Blog

Manon shows how things are done during Carnaval..

Carnaval in the south of the Netherlands. Jah jah also overhere in the Netherlands we have Carnaval. Carnaval is mostly celebrated in the parts of the Netherlands that are “below the rivers” You could say that in the provinces of Limburg and North-Brabant people celebrate this feast. We even have a special vacation for it! When u are from the south u do have this vacation, when ur from the middle of the Netherlands or from the north u dont have this vacation but you have it 1 or 2 weeks later than the ppl from the south! My school is not in the province of North-Brabant, the city of Nijmegen is in the province of Gelderland but still we do have this vacation at my school.

My dog is thinking: What the f is going on?!?!?
A lot of students at my school are from North-Brabant or Limburg so that is very convenient for us.

Carnaval is a Catholic feast by origin. Normally Carnaval is being celebrated from Saturday to Tuesday and ends on Wednesday, also called Ashwednesday. Ashwednesday is the first day of the “Vastenperiode”. In this period ppl would eat and drink less than they normally do and not eat certain things on certain days. Also children had to save up candy if they got any during the 40 days. They couldnt eat it during this period, but had to wait untill after the 40 day period.

The Snowball Shoes..
Carnaval was a feast of having fun and eating and drinking before starting this 40 day period. Since its a Catholic feast by origin it is mostly celebrated in the south of the Netherlands since most of the Catholic ppl used to live in the south.

Carnaval is very funny because it brings out the party animal in everyone! The whole town gets into it and that makes it so much fun. Every town has a different name during Carnaval like my town Uden becomes "Knoerissenrijk". Dont ask me why I didn't think of this stupid name.. and us inhabitants get different names too. Like in Knoerissenrijk overhere the boys are "Knoerissen" and the girls are "Mienekes." Every town has its own Prince and (if the prince has one) Princess Carnaval.

Manon & Me
During the feast, Prince Carnaval is the boss of the town. He has a group of 11 people to help him with that and they are called "De raad van 11". Carnaval is about dressing up and having fun together. Everybody goes out every night but mostly the party starts early in the day already! Parades are being held in different towns and all the towns are being decorated. In my town signs are being hung everywhere that have sayings in our dialect. It's so funny to me how we all seem to speak in our dialect more during Carnaval. Its like the people feel like its a southern thing and it should stay that way. I dont care for that and I dont think its working either haha since ppl from all over are getting into the whole Carnaval thing also, more and more every year I think. The whole Carnaval season starts pretty early! On the 11th day of the 11th month to be exact.
Manon
De Raad van 11 and Prince Carnaval are being chosen and the first feast of the Carnaval season is being held then. I must say that most ppl in the town dont see any of this. Like me or other ppl from my age dont see anything of this really. We only see, and participate in, the actual feast. The feasts before that are mostly being celebrated by the ppl that are in De raad van 11 and other ppl who are busy with organising the Carnaval celebrations for that season. Then after carnaval there is the feast that is esp. for the ppl that work during Carnaval. The ppl that work in bars and stuff.

These days Carnaval doesnt have anything Catholic left to it in my opinion.

Sanne, Linda, Jeroen, Me & Manon
I think most people just see it as a great feast and it has got nothing to do anymore with the “Vastenperiode” since ppl dont live by that anymore. I also think, or atleast I know that overhere in the south (dont know about other parts of NL though..) that ppl are doing almost everything the bible says u shouldnt do during this feast! So the whole religious aspect is gone. Its just a great opportunity to dress up, hang out with your friends, meet ppl who live in ur town, go out and have fun. Everything is just different during these days. The whole day everybody walks around looking like an idiot and everbody is spending time with friends and also spending time with ppl you didnt know before. Because during Carnaval everybody just talks to everybody! The most funny part to me is that everbody celebrates it. Young children ofcourse but I also run into my friends parents all the time at the bars.
Sanne, Linda & Me
(Not my parents since they are in Spain, but otherwise I would see them there also for sure) Great fun! :). Every year I say to myself.. I dont know about this year.. I might not go out and dress up and stuff. I will have a calm Carnaval this year.. But when it arrives you just go with it and it always turns out to be a lot of fun!

That is also how it went on Sunday. Manon would come over to my place and we would watch the famous episode of the Peter R. De Vries programme on tv and we didnt know yet if we were going out after. After having some drinks and receiving multiple sms messages saying we were not allowed to stay at home we decided to go, but first see the show! Manon didnt have an outfit yet so we just went trough all of our old Carnaval stuff to find something. That was a lot of fun since there are some great memories attached to all of the items we found! After deciding what to wear we sat down and watched the programme wich was pretty amazing I must say. At 23.30 we left for our first stop, cafe 't Udenaartje. There was literally nobody there anymore since it would be closing soon and we were almost the only ppl in there. We talked to the owner since Manon knows her daughter and therefor knew her and I had also met her before so we sat down and talked to her and had some wine. At this point Manon was really drunk already and then she just grabbed the mic. and started singing a Carnaval song. (For the ppl from here: Lauwe Pis v Theo Maassen) This was an amazing sight for me, boy was she drunk! Somebody took a pic of it actually cant wait to get my hands on that one! After that on to the next bar where we met up with my colleague Jeroen. After some more drinks we went to meet up with some other colleagues at a club and we had a lot of fun as u can see in the pics. At this point anything was funny to us obviously. I dont think anybody in the place was still sober.. After the whole bar/club thing I went to my friend Thomas's house just to hang out and I got home at around 04.00 so it wasnt that bad. Right now its 7.45 and Im still up (today was the last day) so that is way worse :) Tonight was also very nice! Had some great times at 2 diff. clubs and like always right after Carnaval: Cant wait for next year!

lvdp says:
Zeker te druk met Meet-ups . . . . ;-) (No more addings!) Groeten, Lex.
Posted on: May 19, 2009
timothycote says:
How fun.
Posted on: Mar 06, 2008
Manon shows how things are done du…
Manon shows how things are done d…
My dog is thinking: What the f is …
My dog is thinking: What the f is…
Uden