Special Edition

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Ok several of you know and I think a few of you have guessed and everyone wants to hear the story so this blog is a special, kind of personal, edition in my Europe travels.

I finished work for the month on August 5th, so packed myself a bag, hopped on a train and headed to Amsterdam to meet up with Maarten before we went off on our Hungarian adventure. We weren't leaving until the 11th so had some time just to hang out together and with friends and generally live the good life.

On the 7th, Maarten woke me up hideously early and we got on a tram to the centre. He was being very mysterious about why we had to be up so early and we got off at a stop I had never been to. At about 9am we came to a lovely old building, the Amsterdam Botanic Gardens. The gardens are by a canal and beautifully laid out. We were almost the only visitors, so we took our time wandering through the different exhibits. I especially loved the butterfly garden.

While we were outside it began to rain, I am still not accustomed to Dutch weather so I had forgotten an umbrella! We ducked into an enormous greenhouse, the type that contains a whole landscaped ecosystem. It was so warm and wet it really felt like being in a jungle. The plants were laid out beautifully around a stream and a pond and scattered around were grottoes full of moss and ferns. We had the whole place to ourselves and I began to realise why he insisted on coming so early, before other tourists arrived. It was so quiet and peaceful, the only sounds were the rain outside and the bubbling stream indoors.

He pulled me into a particularly pretty grotto, it was down a level so I could look up at the surrounding plants. When I looked back at Maarten, he was on one knee! He proposed, with a gorgeous ring, right there in the gardens. It could not have been more special. I said yes of course! Then there was a lot of hugging and crying and calling my parents. It was perfect.

So this is my big news from Amsterdam, it has turned all my plans upside down and made my life about a million times more complicated but I don't seem to mind!
JoeriNL says: