Jolly England!

Cambridge Travel Blog

My first Photo :P

This is my first time to the 'Motherland' and I intended to enjoy it fully! Actually, I enjoyed my first few days so much that I decided to stay longer, a wise decision I think! Background Footnote: When I lived in Singapore I went to the Australian International School, there I met Sebastian, who mangaed to find me again (ahh the joys of Facebook) and invited me to stay whenever I came to the UK. Hence, I ended up in Cambridge.

Cambridge is grogeous, this University town has the most bookshops I have ever seen in one tiny city. I actually spent some great hours in Borders, thanks to the GENIOUS who put Starbucks inside that bookshop so that you can read without purchase! Life was definitly looking up, for a girl who spent hours trawling Metz to find ONE bookshop with secondhand English books of the random crap variety.

Bliss. Seb, bless him, is still at school so I had a bunch of time to go exploring in the town. King's College is huge, very old, very nice building, slightly intimidating to stand outside and NOT be an "Ox-bridge" student (and never will be folks). The other colleges are equally prestigious and beautiful, Trinity is the most famous for being the richest College, on the planet I think! To its credit, the grounds are huge and very nice. I spent a few days exploring the town, the Market Square is an absolute must, and searching for the perfect cup of tea in the numerous tea shops dedicated to the fine art of stewing leaves.

My other slightly more cultural experience was a visit to the gorgeous and grand Fitzwilliam Museum. Now, I know what you are thinking and I didn't just go there because it started to rain and the Museum has free entry.

.. ok well I didn't ONLY go there... Oh well! The important thing is that I did! Downstairs they have collections of very interesting very old things, such as Egyptian Sarcophogi, the lid of King Ramses II's tomb amoung others! They also had the mandatory mummified cat, which is still interesting I have to say. They have art, sculpture, trinkets and everything you could think to put on display, from some of the oldest civilisations of man. Now I think that is pretty cool. It is definitely worth a look. Even if you just go to the Entrance Hall, its beauty reminded me of the Paris Opera with all that marble, though admittedly less gold.

I'm going to stop here for a second, mostly to gloat about my good fortune! There is nothing negative I can say about Cambridge, except maybe that they seem to purposely make Internet Caf├ęs impossible to find, I actually just gave up in the end.

I also take this time to acknowledge that I had wonderful weather, it was sunny for days on end! Which I have been told is just plain not Cricket (huh?). I have discovered my favourite sport! Punting! Uni students, tourists and the elderly can push or be pushed up and down the river Cam using a giant pole like gondaleers in Venice, without the outift or serenading. You take a bunch of mates, some food and drink and spend several hours actively lolling in the sunshine admiring the pretty Colleges along the banks. Fun!

My experiences in Cambridge led me to several conclusions: Everyone is obsessed with tea and sandwiches, the cyclists have balls of steel, fields are not made for riding any wheeled transport (except a tractor..), English people love everything old (buildings, woods, people, sometimes cheese), and will apologise for anything, including the weather...

Thankfully I think this is all amusing and quaint and generally pleasing. I have decided that I do love England and all of its quirky inhabitants and despite the odd bit of rain it is a charming place. I hope I will get back there soon!!

wayneollerenshaw says:
Oh yeah, and a shame we didn't get to have a piss-up, next time doug, next time ;)
Posted on: May 03, 2008
wayneollerenshaw says:
Good god, Cambridge best hope Bondy and I never turn up, it will be forever ruined....
Posted on: May 03, 2008