EuropeFranceMetz

Dutchie comes to town

Metz Travel Blog

Since I had such a fantastic time in Holland, I invited my host, Maarten to come visit me in Corny. He arrived on Friday night and we were picked up by my friend Jelena (from Couchsurfing.com) in her giant bus-car thing. From Metz we drove to an oulying village called Vigy and into the forest where Jelena and her collegues from the Together Europe Charity were hosting an Inter-Cultural evening. I really enjoyed this, though it may have been a little overwhelming for Maart who just finished 5/6hr travels and had to take his bags!

Some background info: Together Europe (which I think is a great idea, but I cant volunteer because Im not an EU citizen) is a charity aimed at fostering better understanding of the many and diverse cultures that are packed into this continent. Youth ambassadors from all different places gather in a host country, usually France or Germany, and spend a week doing friendship-building activities and discussing a specific topic.

This particular night there were representivies from France, Italy, Estonia, Hungary, Greece, Croatia and Lithuania. I got to try some really interesting traditional foods from places that I may not reach on this Europe trip and learn something about each of the diffeent countries and their traditions or habits surrounding food. I found it really interesting.

We also got to sample the traditional or famous alcoholic drinks from these places as well! Well of course there were some horrible things, I apologise to the residents of Lorraine but Mirabelle Liquer is horrible! There were some really good things too, German beer of course, and also a few of the spirits. Well thankfully we didn't get drunk, we didn't have the opportunity because however little food was left over, there was NO booze to be found on that property. A few of the actual participants were tanked, it was pretty funny actually! Though, some of them were pretty young so I feel for the ones that had to get up at 7am for activites!

I definitly reccomend Togehter Europe as something to look into, the volunteers are well looked after and you really learn a lot. Also, the idea of an intercultural evening isn't that different to TB meetups, in the past few weeks we have organised some private ones just as an excuse to meet up and make cocktails!
Metz