A Four Hour Trip?

Seven Springs Travel Blog

Night Skiing at Seven Springs!

A ski weekend at Seven Springs, Pennsylvania - sounds like a great idea!  Our son and daughter-in-law arranged for us (my husband and I) and them (2 adults plus 4 children) a wonderful weekend in the Laurel Highlands of western Pennsylvania.  Everybody (OK - not the 1 year old twins) ski.  I'm sidelined this year because of knee surgery in November, so I became the designated babysitter for the twins!  Arrangements were made for a slopeside condo (ski in/ski out convenience) and off we went!

On Friday morning, the weather forecast for our drive east looked to be wintery travel most of the way with possibilities of conditions worsening throughout the evening hours.

A View From Our Front Door
  When I explained our plans to my boss, I was graciously given a half day off so we could get a head start and hopefully travel during the daylight hours before the weather turned bad.  The drive was approximately 4 hours and mostly interstate highways, so we thought we would get a jump on whatever weather was moving through.  WRONG!

Best laid plans never work - at least for us!  By late afternoon and about 100 miles from the destination, we drove into a winter storm.  Any kind of winter weather possible - rain, freezing rain, sleet, heavy snow - we had it all.  Travel crawled at 30 miles per hour!  There was a heavy slush on the roads which made changing lanes difficult.  With darkness not too far off, it was doubtful we would arrive at the condo before nightfall.

We're Ready!
  I just can't describe the heavy, thick snow that made the last 12 miles extremely difficult!  Vehicles were all over the roads and off the sides.  Emergency vehicles were handling what they could, and we just kept going!  We were traveling in unfamiliar territory, and I was beginning to think we would never get there!

Through cell phone conversations with our son (he was about an hour closer to start and set out earlier than us), conditions further up the mountain had worsened.  There were no plows on the roads, and many people were arriving for the weekend just like us!  Our son's van had gotten stuck 3 or 4 times, and someone had to tow him to get going.  Their adventures started long before our arrival!  Besides being stuck in snow with 5 girls (ages 7, 5, and 1 year old twins plus a nervous wife), they had to pick up the keys to the condo, rent ski equipment for the two older girls, and locate the place to give us directions.

Icicles off our roof
  All this time, it just kept on snowing and snowing and snowing!

By 7:30 pm (we left around 2:15 pm), we had finally started into the resort area.  This place was huge!  The main entrance was all lighted (white lights in the trees and bushes) and a steady stream of vehicles was heading into the area.  The road we needed was just before the drive up information area, and proved to be somewhat tricky, but the Camry successfully made the turn.  From that point on it was blind driving.  The road had not been plowed, and the only way of knowing where to go was by following the tracks from others who ventured that way.  It was mostly uphill - around the mountains - in the dark.  And it was still snowing and snowing and snowing!

Our condo was in the farthest group on top of the mountain.

Plenty of Snow!
  Once we located the entrance and made the turn, my husband decided that to go on up we would need to build some momentum.  HAHAHA!  Just as we made the next to last turn, there was a car stuck in the middle of the driveway and not moving.  Our only hope of making into the parking lot was dashed as we came to a stop.  Now, we were stuck!  Couldn't go forward - a car.  Couldn't go backward - a shuttle bus.  Couldn't turn into the lot - another vehicle stuck.  That was it - no more progress.  We could see the final destination but it seemed so far away.

A couple pushers got the car moving ahead of us.  The car beside us somehow got around the mess, and headed out on the road - for whatever the reason.

The Sun Peeks Through!
  Remaining was us and the bus!  A very nice man offered to help push us, so I became the driver!  My husband and the pusher were able to get us into a parking lot, and that's where the car sat the rest of the weekend!

After unloading our car, help our son unload the last few items out of their van, and trudging up two flights of steps with equipment and bags, four brave souls decided to do some skiing in the fresh powder (after all we came to ski).  Night skiing went until 10:00 pm.  I must say once we were there - SAFELY - it was beautiful!  Our condo was located slopeside near the top of a lift.  Everything was blanketed in white, and the lights on the slope made for a pretty sight.  You don't need to tell our granddaughters more than once to get ready for skiing!  They were bundled up and ready before the adults!  The next day was much less dramatic!

oldschoolbill says:
I need to see snow again, but only for a little while. Please send 1 SMALL bag, thank you
Posted on: Mar 04, 2008
Look At All The Snow!
Look At All The Snow!
Seven Springs Sights & Attractions review
A Winter Wonderland
A retreat for the winter sports lover! Lots to do day or night, inside or outside. Check it out! Rated the number one resort in the mid-Atlantic … read entire review
Seven Springs