Day 2: Discovering Lille

Lille Travel Blog

We woke up at 10 am Sunday morning, but we stayed in for another hour and half until we left Sanne's place. So at 11.30 am we went to a bakery where you can sit down and ordered 2 pains au chocolat and some coffee. Yes, indeed, we had our breakfast at noon :).

After that we went to the town center. We went towards a beautiful building, the Vieille Bourse, and when we "entered" the patio we saw that it was dedicated to French scientists. On the walls we could read several names we knew, such as Louis Pasteur and Ampère. For every scientist there was a brief description and it was decorated with objects related to the kind of science he was specialised in. You can see this in the pictures I have taken. At that moment there was a little book market going on. And we stayed there for a while to take a look at the books.

There were a lot of old once. Which I personally love! Not only old books and stripbooks, but postcards and advertisements as well. We found gorgeous postcards that dated from the 1920's. Great great great! I love old images, the magic of holding a postcard which is almost one hundred years old. Some of the cards had been sent and had text on it. Love it!

We walked around and saw other great building like the opera, the "Chambre de Commerce", a church, a synagoge, an oyster bar... Basically almost all buildings look great in Lille. They're very old and didn't look like I imagined them to look. That's because Lille is in the North of France and close to Belgium. But the buildings looked pretty southern to me, like some of the buildings I had seen in the South of France.

Anyway I adored the architecture!

We also went to a cathedral called the Notre Dame - like the famous one in Paris. This building was really special, this big gray cathedral is very old, but has a modern façade (face?). Very original! Despite several attempts we couldn't enter...

After we had walked around for hours we ate a little snack and went to her place again so I could pack my stuff. So that's what I did and afterwards we went back to the center to eat a pizza. Well, I ate a pizza and she ate some tagliatelli with prawns. And unfortunately I already had to leave Lille to go back to Paris since I had to work on Monday. It was a great trip and I'd advise Lille to everyone! I had a lovely time with my friend and was very happy that we still got along so well after all this years!!! Weekends always pass to quickly.