Day 1: discovering Lille

Lille Travel Blog

I took the TGV - high speed train - at noon in Paris and after 1 hour I already arrived in Lille. I didn't really know what to expect from that city, neither from my friend Sanne - I hadn't seen her for a very long time!

Sanne was already waiting for me at the station Lille Flandres and we were very happy to see each other again. If you had seen us, you would not have imagined that we hadn't seen each other for years! We went to her place to put my stuff away so we could go and discover Lille. She didn't know a lot about the city either, since she had been there for only 3 weeks and hadn't really had the time to see everything.

We just walked around, without a destination, talking about what we had done the last years.

We went to the mall, to take a look at the modern architecture. I love to see different kinds of architecture, I guess because my family has a construction company and we always drove around in weekends to discover interesting buildings. And my friend is studying architecture so...:). At the mall we also saw great colorful flowers, I really liked them a lot. It was a very windy day, but we felt like it was summer for a minute. At the mall there was another train station, I believe it is called Lille Europe. We went inside to see the paintings on the wall, which represent the world. They painted the Atomium in Brussels, the Great Chinese Wall, the Sacré Coeur in Paris, the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona and so on.

After that we went to her place because it was very windy and I forgot my wallet... So we stayed there for a while and by the time we left our tummies announced that it was time to eat. We wanted to eat some Chinese food but we ended it up in the Grizzly Grill (see review). After a surprisingly good and cheap meal we walked to the Musée des Beaux Arts and walked by the very vivid student bar area.

We arrived at 1 am at her place again and went straight to bed...

Lille Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Grizzly Grill
After a whole day of walking through Lille, Sanne and me got very hungry. At first we wanted to eat some Chinese food but we walked by a restaurant ca… read entire review
Lille